Author Topic: Roseanna (aka Rose Anna) GAIN arr Port Chalmers 1880  (Read 8190 times)

Offline Tgapitbull

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Roseanna (aka Rose Anna) GAIN arr Port Chalmers 1880
« on: Monday 30 April 18 23:04 BST (UK) »
I am searching for details of Roseanna (aka Rose Anna) GAIN.

A Roseanna GAIN arrived in Port Chalmers (ex London 22 Jan 1880) on the ship "Araby Maid" on 24 April 1880 along with an Elizabeth Gain - relationship not known (Source Otago Witness 3 April 1880 pg 3).

Shortly after arriving in NZ Rose Ann Gain married Richard Champion (1880/2456).  Richard's first wife Ann nee Grigson died in 1878.

In the ER for Waikati for 1896 and 1900 Rose Ann and Richard were listed at Freehold Section 17030, Waimate.  Richard a farmer and Rose Ann, domestic duties

Rose Ann died in Christchurch on 14 May 1912 (Source Waimate Daily Advertiser 15 May 1912 pg 2) and is buried in the Waimate Old cemetery, Free Ground, Plot 0015FG000445.  Richard (died 1914) and his first wife Ann are also buried in this cemetery.

Grateful for any assistance to identify where Rose Ann came from or birth details - was she Irish?

I have checked the 1861 and 1871 UK census and couldn't find her, Paperspast and Familysearch.

Wendy

Offline Janette

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Good night Kiwi
    • View Profile
Re: Roseanna (aka Rose Anna) GAIN arr Port Chalmers 1880
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 May 18 01:12 BST (UK) »
Age at death in 1912 was 70, so approx year of birth 1842

Cheers Janette

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 May 18 02:19 BST (UK) »

A Roseanna GAIN arrived in Port Chalmers (ex London 22 Jan 1880) on the ship "Araby Maid" on 24 April 1880 along with an Elizabeth Gain - relationship not known (Source Otago Witness 3 April 1880 pg 3).

Wendy

From my resources it is mentioned that Rose and Elizabeth were with family, not sure if that can be read as they were sisters and travelling together or were travelling with family members which is one of the passengers.

Not much help I know.  Perhaps tracking down Elizabeth to see if there is more information to be had.

Cheers
KHP
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 01 May 18 03:34 BST (UK) »
Given that Roseanna was born around 1842, she arrived in NZ aged 38. Elizabeth could have been her daughter.

I can see an Elizabeth Gain who married a Joseph Page in 1889.

Are you certain that Gain was Rosanna's maiden name, as opposed to a married name?

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 01 May 18 04:29 BST (UK) »

Perhaps tracking down Elizabeth to see if there is more information to be had.

Cheers
KHP

Hi Wendy

I tracked down Elizabeth GAIN earlier -  essentially because I had exhausted clues for Roseanna (Rose Ann) GAIN. 

I think Elizabeth was very likely the lady who married Joseph PAGE (a shipwright from Lyttelton)  in 1889.

Joseph PAGE (died 1915 ... and there are a number of obituaries written for him) came to NZ from Gloucestershire with his family around 1878 - in the Lyttelton tug boat of the same same.   Six children of his previous  marriage survived him.

Elizabeth GAIN seems to have been his second wife.  She died in 1913 at the age of 70 (... born circa 1843 ).    I found only a funeral notice for her.   Both she and Joseph PAGE were buried at the Church of England cemetery, Lyttelton.   Unfortunately no headstone(s) and I'm uncertain whether there are burial records available for that particular cemetery.

Will keep looking though.

~  Lu

Offline Tgapitbull

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 01 May 18 04:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks Janette, KHP, Jamjar and Lucy2 for your postings.
I have been working back from Rosanna Gain who married Richard Champion do I don't know whether Gain is from a previous marriage or a maiden name - I have been wondering so will look at this angle as well.
I will see if I can find anything else re Elizabeth Gain/Joseph Page.
Thanks for all your help.
Wendy

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 01 May 18 04:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Wendy

... just in case you missed it (or our posts, crossed), I have added my findings for Elizabeth GAIN (  + Joseph PAGE) prior to your last post.

~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 01 May 18 05:13 BST (UK) »
Hi again Wendy

There were several different listings for the arrival at Port Chalmers of the "Araby Maid" in April 1880.

This one has the surname mis-spelled at "GAVIN" ... but does show that they were the "Misses GAVIN".
https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/ODT18800426.2.3

Looks like there were only a small number of passengers aboard the "Araby Maid" and it may be that they paid their own fares to the colony ?     [I'm only guessing that.  ;D    But it may explain why there doesn't appear to be a passenger list (of the immigration type) for this particular voyage, ??]

~  Lu

Edited to add >  ... oops hadn't read all of that column but see now, further down, re: arrival of "Araby Maid", that it carried only 13 passengers.

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 01 May 18 05:18 BST (UK) »

Looks like there were only a small number of passengers aboard the "Araby Maid" and it may be that they paid their own fares to the colony ?     [I'm only guessing that.  ;D    But it may explain why there doesn't appear to be a passenger list (of the immigration type) for this particular voyage, ??]

~  Lu

Looks like they did, for two of them it was £32.00.

Cheers
KHP

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk