Author Topic: Roseanna (aka Rose Anna) GAIN arr Port Chalmers 1880  (Read 8182 times)

Offline Tgapitbull

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Roseanna (aka Rose Anna) GAIN arr Port Chalmers 1880
« Reply #54 on: Wednesday 18 July 18 08:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Jeni,
Apologies for the delay responding to your earlier post - I have been unwell.
Thanks for the Champion/Gain marriage registration details.  I went back and had a look at the marriage registration - witness details for Joseph Page/Elizabeth Gain.  One of the witnesses is a Joseph Linart, Lyttelton - Railway Employee.  There are some similarities between how the "L" and "S" (as in shipwright/silk) are written in the registration so wonder if the surname is Smart not Linart?   Although the "S" of St Saviours is very clear.
I did find in electoral rolls a Joseph Smart in Waimate in 1880 and in 1890 in Dampiers Bay, Akaroa - occupation Labourer.   The 1896 electoral roll shows a Joseph and Victoria Smart in Dampiers Bay, Akaroa.

Wendy

Offline starsista

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Wednesday 18 July 18 09:28 BST (UK) »
Wendy

Sorry to hear you have been unwell.  I hope you're feeling better now, or on the road to recovery if not better already.

I see what you mean about Linart instead of Smart.  I read it as Smart and  it could so easily be Linart.  I am inclined to think it is Smart though.  In 1880, on the registration, he was residing in Waimate.

Archway has a Joseph Smart applying for Clerk of Works job at Waimate Hospital in 1878.  I also found there is an Inward Letters and Registered Files from the Resident Magistrate in Waimate in 1883, subject - Charles Bateman appointed Bailiff vice Joseph Smart resigned.  In 1892 there is an application for employment in Lyttelton.  In 1913 there was a Coroner's Request file in Canterbury for a Joseph Smart.  This Joseph is in NZBMD folio 1913/4623.  Archway have no mention of a Joseph Linart.  In searching on google I found Linart is a New England name.

Family Search have probates for 2 Joseph Smart's, one a Police Constable from Queenstown [1916] and the other a Brickmaker from Devonport [1905].

And checking my Kiwi Index from NZSG there is a Joseph Smart married a Victoria GAIN in 1878!  I got her forename from NZBMDs, folio 1878/1485.  In 1893 in the Women's Electoral Roll, Victoria SMART lived in Jackson's Road, Lyttelton.  I couldn't find probate for Victoria SMART.

Looking at Papers Past I find Victoria died 7 January 1913 https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/TS19130107.2.34?items_per_page=10&query=%22Smart%22+victoria+joseph&snippet=true 
She is buried in Sydenham Cemetery, Christchurch.  The Joseph died in July 1913 is buried elsewhere so he may not be her husband.  Now to find Victoria's husband.

Jeni
Simpson, Stout, Strachan, Kidd, Lilly, Champion, Grigson, Bruce, Menzies, Polson, Murray, Livingston, Ross, MacKay, Dingwall, Armstrong, McDonald,

Offline starsista

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Wednesday 18 July 18 09:50 BST (UK) »
Found!

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/WAG19130710.2.24.5?end_date=31-12-1913&items_per_page=10&page=2&query=%22Smart%22+joseph&snippet=true&start_date=01-01-1913

Sad story, and he worked on the Railways at Lyttelton.  Must be the man who was witness to the marriage of Rose Anne GAIN and Richard CHAMPION also Elizabeth GAIN and Joseph PAGE. 

Jeni
Simpson, Stout, Strachan, Kidd, Lilly, Champion, Grigson, Bruce, Menzies, Polson, Murray, Livingston, Ross, MacKay, Dingwall, Armstrong, McDonald,

Offline starsista

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Wednesday 18 July 18 10:09 BST (UK) »
More information regarding the death of Joseph SMART
https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/TS19130709.2.56?end_date=31-12-1913&items_per_page=10&page=27&query=%22Smart%22+joseph&snippet=true&start_date=01-01-1913

Haven't found any funeral notice and they may have kept that quiet under the circumstances.

Still looking.

Jeni

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Wednesday 18 July 18 10:43 BST (UK) »
Hi

Probable arrival of Victoria GAIN into Canterbury per "Conflict" departed UK 4 November 1875, arrived 29 January 1876.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-X4XC-2Z?i=20&cc=1609792

GAIN - Victoria - 28 years - Governess - ex Co. Waterford

In the margin on passenger list, "Matron" is written alongside of Victoria's name (presumably she was the ship's Matron on that voyage ?) *

And ... at last ... a "native place" (Co. Waterford, Ireland) is given for this member of the GAIN family.  ;)

~  Lu

Edited to add -
  https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/CHP18760131.2.3.3

*   ??  Article gives the name of another woman who was apparently appointed "matron" . ??

Offline starsista

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Thursday 19 July 18 01:00 BST (UK) »
Lu

Thanks for this information.  I am sure that could well be Victoria who married Joseph SMART.  I wonder whether the GAIN family were all from Waterford.  There is not much information on them that I can find at the moment.  May need to go into town one day soon and check the library ancestry.  Find out the parents and other siblings etc.

I think I might check Joseph's brother mentioned in the article about his death.  Joseph is buried in Linwood Cemetery in Christchurch, near where he resided at the time of his death.  Victoria is buried in Sydenham Cemetery, also in Christchurch.  I haven't found children for them yet, maybe they didn't have any.

Jeni