Author Topic: Roseanna (aka Rose Anna) GAIN arr Port Chalmers 1880  (Read 8209 times)

Offline starsista

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Roseanna (aka Rose Anna) GAIN arr Port Chalmers 1880
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday 04 July 18 09:04 BST (UK) »
I have only begun looking into Roseanna GAIN, 2nd wife of my gg-grandfather Richard CHAMPION, today.  When I first heard about her it was when I heard about wife #3 Jessie DELVE and my friend who had looked into CHAMPION in Waimate for me, found nothing else on the wives, and she was an experienced researcher in the Waimate region and she gave me the name PAIN also. She also suggested it may be GAIN.

Searching Papers Past with names such as CHAMPION, DELVE and GAIN is no easy task with champion racehorses, delve[ing] into things and gain[ing] an education etc, they didn't choose easy names, however, at least they are not John SMITH!

Unfortunately I cannot help you at this stage, however I have ordered the printout of the marriage registration, which may, at least, show parents of Roseanna.

Thank you Wendy for starting this topic and Janette, KHP, jamjar, Lucy2, minniehaha, Ray, wivenhoe, shanreagh and spades for your input.  I will see what I can find now you have all given so much and will keep in touch here.

Jeni
Simpson, Stout, Strachan, Kidd, Lilly, Champion, Grigson, Bruce, Menzies, Polson, Murray, Livingston, Ross, MacKay, Dingwall, Armstrong, McDonald,

Offline Tgapitbull

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Thursday 05 July 18 09:01 BST (UK) »
Jeni,
Did you read posting #29 re details of parents on their marriage registration?
They may however be recorded on her death registration!
Keep us posted on your research.

Wendy

Offline starsista

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Thursday 05 July 18 09:28 BST (UK) »
Wendy

Yes, thank you, I read that post.  I have ordered the printout of the register which does have more information than any certificates.  I am aware there may be nothing more than what we already know.

I appreciate all the information already given, I had nothing, and now I have much more.  I will certainly pass on anything I find.

Jeni 
Simpson, Stout, Strachan, Kidd, Lilly, Champion, Grigson, Bruce, Menzies, Polson, Murray, Livingston, Ross, MacKay, Dingwall, Armstrong, McDonald,

Offline starsista

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday 10 July 18 23:13 BST (UK) »
Wendy

The marriage registration certificate for Richard CHAMPION and Roseanne GAIN has arrived, and as mentioned earlier, no parents, however a witness to the marriage was Elizabeth M V B GAIN, a spinster of Waimate.  This will be the sister whom Roseanne emigrated to New Zealand with.  Richard and Roseanne married at St Augustine's Church, Waimate.  Another witness was Joseph SMART, a railway servant of Waimate and the officiating minister was Charles COATES.

Jeni

Offline minniehaha

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "To live in hearts we leave behind, Is not to die"
    • View Profile
HAMMOND, Cainham/Caynham, Shropshire, U.K. Otago-NZ.
GALBRAITH, Ireland, Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Kensington-London, U.K.
GRANT, Sct., Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Vancouver, Canada.
GLASS, Aberdeenshire, Otago-NZ.
CAIRNEY/CARNEY/KEARNEY/Ireland, Airdrie, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
O'BRIEN Mary Ann, Limerick, Otago-NZ.
NICOL(L) James, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
SCOTT Thomas, Shetland, Otago-NZ.
MCHARDY/MCHARDIE Euphemia, Scotland, Otago-NZ.

Offline starsista

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday 11 July 18 12:17 BST (UK) »
minniehaha

Thank you.  Are you connected to this family at all?

Jeni

Offline starsista

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Wednesday 11 July 18 12:50 BST (UK) »
minniehaha

I will take a closer look at your information tomorrow.  I had a quick look tonight and have come across Joseph Francis and Eliza PAGE ms MEES living in Lyttelton, and they are the ones mentioned in the death notice and the probate and could not be the right Joseph and Elizabeth PAGE.  I have checked the probate and sure enough there is a daughter Annie Rebecca mentioned in the will.  Take a look here - https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Page-3675 

oops, have just checked back and Lucy2 did mention this may be a second marriage for Joseph.  Tomorrow...

Jeni

Offline minniehaha

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "To live in hearts we leave behind, Is not to die"
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Wednesday 11 July 18 22:37 BST (UK) »
minniehaha

Thank you.  Are you connected to this family at all?

Jeni

Not connected at all Jeni....... :)

Minniehaha.
HAMMOND, Cainham/Caynham, Shropshire, U.K. Otago-NZ.
GALBRAITH, Ireland, Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Kensington-London, U.K.
GRANT, Sct., Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Vancouver, Canada.
GLASS, Aberdeenshire, Otago-NZ.
CAIRNEY/CARNEY/KEARNEY/Ireland, Airdrie, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
O'BRIEN Mary Ann, Limerick, Otago-NZ.
NICOL(L) James, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
SCOTT Thomas, Shetland, Otago-NZ.
MCHARDY/MCHARDIE Euphemia, Scotland, Otago-NZ.

Offline starsista

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Wednesday 11 July 18 23:15 BST (UK) »
minniehaha

As someone connected to the CHAMPION family, I do appreciate the effort you and the others have put into this.

Thank you

Jeni