Author Topic: Lost ANZAC I am trying to ID from clues  (Read 1653 times)

Offline Sturdy

• RootsChat Member
  • John PARK and Louisa Jane PARK (nee STOREY) 1889
    • View Profile
Lost ANZAC I am trying to ID from clues
« on: Tuesday 01 May 18 01:20 BST (UK) »
I came by this photo discarded in a large box of unrelated papers and have been trying unsuccessfully to try and restore this man's id.

The photo is off a WW1 Australian Sergeant. I am unsure of the unit however has the letter A under the unit badge.

Written on the back is Uncle Jack FRANCIS. Mum's brother in W.A   (if am reading it rightly). I have tried trawling through online resources for Australian soldiers with the name John FRANCIS, Jack FRANCIS or John Francis .......... for given names who may have enlisted in time to be at Gallipoli and be promoted to Sgt or beyond, with possible links to W.A - without success.

The question I have is there a comprehensive list of soldiers who served at Gallipoli that could be scanned through for the name Francis , When was the A badge issued and does anyone have an idea of a possible unit for this man. He isn't wearing an ribbons so I don't think it was taken at the end of the war but I am only guessing. I haven't given up on this one yet - any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanking you in advance

Sturdy     
STOREY Family London (Spitialfields, Shoreditch, Lambeth, Wandsworth) & Ballarat Aust 

PARK family Glasgow

MILLS (MILES) Family Kirkmaiden - Wigtownshire, Glasgow & Geelong Vic and Moulamein NSW, Aust

MILLER family London (Bethnal Green, Mile End Old Town) & Auckland, NZ

AVON family Cobh, Queenstown, Cashel (HUSSEY Family), Ireland & Melbourne Australia -

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Lost ANZAC I am trying to ID from clues
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 May 18 01:25 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Have you considered asking the Australian War Memorial re the colour patch and the A badge and for the list of names etc?   They are very helpful.

https://www.awm.gov.au/index.php/collection/research-at-the-memorial

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 01 May 18 01:45 BST (UK) »
From my own experience with writing on the back of old photos, I wouldn't limit your search to WA. It is possible that is where he lived after the war, or in the writer's knowledge.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline Nanna52

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Edwin WB Vincent, my actor, (1881-1940)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 01 May 18 01:56 BST (UK) »
A guide to unit patches might narrow your search down.

https://guides.slv.vic.gov.au/wwone_soldiers/patches

In my experience they were all ANZACs, they didn't necessarily serve in Gallipoli.
James -Victoria, Australia originally from Keynsham, Somerset.
Janes - Keynsham and Bristol area.
Heale/Hale - Keynsham, Somerset
Vincent - Illogan/Redruth, Cornwall.  Moved to Sculcoates, Yorkshire; Grass Valley, California; Timaru, New Zealand and Victoria, Australia.
Williams somewhere in Wales - he kept moving
Ellis - Anglesey

Gedmatch A327531

Offline Sturdy

• RootsChat Member
  • John PARK and Louisa Jane PARK (nee STOREY) 1889
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 01 May 18 02:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks JM. I will try the AWM. Previous experience with emails to AWM I haven't received a reply but will happily try again. I agree re comment for WA. It could be pre or post war reference.

Nanna to have the A brass badge it is my understanding you had to have served at Gallipoli hence I am trying to narrow down the various soldiers with the name Francis (surname or given name) that served there. I am happy to be corrected if that was not the case otherwise I am a wild goose chase.

Regards

Sturdy
STOREY Family London (Spitialfields, Shoreditch, Lambeth, Wandsworth) & Ballarat Aust 

PARK family Glasgow

MILLS (MILES) Family Kirkmaiden - Wigtownshire, Glasgow & Geelong Vic and Moulamein NSW, Aust

MILLER family London (Bethnal Green, Mile End Old Town) & Auckland, NZ

AVON family Cobh, Queenstown, Cashel (HUSSEY Family), Ireland & Melbourne Australia -

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 01 May 18 02:51 BST (UK) »
If he isn't related to you then I am not sure sure how you will know if you find him?

This one was a farrier Corporal and temporary farrier Sergeant, promoted in 1918.

http://soda.naa.gov.au/record/4033259/1

I usually find it easier to initially search the indexes here:

https://www.aif.adfa.edu.au/search

Debra  :)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 01 May 18 02:54 BST (UK) »
And adding to Dundee's suggestions,

https://search.findmypast.com.au/search-world-Records/australian-imperial-force-nominal-roll-1914-1918

I think this link is to a free index, which likely will have been developed from the nominal roll readily available online.  But this live link may help with initial searching for FRANCIS as a surname, and limiting the years 1914, 1915, so that once a shorter list of possibles can then be undertaken for the actual service records. 

Fingers crossed

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 01 May 18 02:55 BST (UK) »
Just about to post similar Debra :)

John Thomas Francis lived in Narrogin and awarded the Military Cross died 1960 in Perth and is buried there

1st Division Train ASC and their badge looks like the one on his shoulder

1st) Divisional Train, 4th Company, Army Service Corps

https://www.aif.adfa.edu.au/OrderOfBattle/Service_Corps.html
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 01 May 18 02:59 BST (UK) »
Using the great link that Nanna gave re the AIF colour patches, the vertical colour patch this chap is wearing is likely to be 'white' on the right hand stripe.   

ADD, none showing as 'white' on the  colour patch link, but several are obviously 'lighter' in colour on the right panel.   :) but verticals were fifth div only, and the battalions in the 5th div are named there.

JM
A guide to unit patches might narrow your search down.

https://guides.slv.vic.gov.au/wwone_soldiers/patches

In my experience they were all ANZACs, they didn't necessarily serve in Gallipoli.