Author Topic: Windows 10 April update  (Read 8729 times)

Offline locksmith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 10 April update
« Reply #45 on: Friday 11 May 18 10:38 BST (UK) »
I notice MS have discontinued the Homegroup facility in this version. Although you can still use the printer from another PC it looks like MS are pushing customers towards using their cloud for file sharing, for a fee of course.
I've never used Homegroup. Just simply share folders and printers with other pcs on your network using the the share functionality. I never did see the point of Homegroup to do this.

Simon

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Friday 11 May 18 10:46 BST (UK) »
Interesting to see that there are already updates, for the new update, happening.

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Friday 11 May 18 10:55 BST (UK) »
Interesting to see that there are already updates, for the new update, happening.

Jamjar

and all for Free!   ;D
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Friday 11 May 18 12:53 BST (UK) »
Just be aware that as we progress through the various versions of Windows 10, the older versions are no longer supported by Microsoft!

I finally upgraded from 1511 to 1709 at the beginning of April, although to be fair I was still getting security updates from MS up until then.  One of the benefits of having Windows 10 Pro is I can defer major upgrades for up to 12 months (or more previously) and although they've changed the way you can avoid their monthly security updates installing for a time after they are released, the metered connection option stops any from downloading when MS might like. ;D
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline HarryW

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • G Grandfather - Albert Spencer 1861 - 1926
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Sunday 13 May 18 09:20 BST (UK) »
My update was fairly painless taking about 2.5 hours in total.   However, I now have a drive "H" which is intermittently reporting that it is full, when I inspect it, the drive appears to be about 450Mb with approx. 45Mb free.   Interestingly it also appear to be empty even with "show hidden files" ticked.

A brief scan of the web, suggests this is a system drive that Microsoft used to hide and that it must not be deleted.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

My Interests:

Berkshire: Amor, Beard, Creed, Gale, Noakes, Pearmain, Spencer, White, Willis
Cornwall / Devon: Arscott, Coram, Cundy, Eastlake, Minedue, Reeve
Essex: Ager, Garrad, Linsell, Pearmain
Hampshire: Noakes
Norfolk: Fox, Spencer, Wilkins
Northumberland: Ager, Bell, Cundy, Gair, Robinson
Oxfordshire: Allmond, Beard, Burton, Cobb, Creed, Hilsdon, Nichols, Shurville
Wiltshire: Amor
Yorkshire: Bell, Fox

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Tuesday 15 May 18 21:58 BST (UK) »
Just had the update on my pretty new laptop. It took about 20 mins to update and  about the same or even less to configure.  Then it asked me a set of daft questions and wanted to show me all the 'new' things. Otherwise, nothing seems to have changed so far.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Thursday 17 May 18 14:16 BST (UK) »
The "daft questions" are to do with EU legislation about needing to opt-in to data harvesting rather than them being able to do it by default.

When you install Win10, there are a few of these questions, but you have to avoid the "Let us make things easy for you" option to see them.

My guess is that if your settings were for outside the EU, then those questions would not appear.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Thursday 17 May 18 14:21 BST (UK) »
No problems so far. All settings as before.  I'd rather be in than out!
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline bikermickau

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Monday 21 May 18 22:51 BST (UK) »
After updating her computer, my wife just tried to print a resume, is there a easy fix?

Mick
Jeffs - Northamptonshire to Leicestershire to Queensland, Australia
Lewis - Wales to Gloucestershire to NSW & Queensland, Australia
Iddols & Baylis - Gloucestershire
Mary Jones, daughter of James Jones and Eliza - born abt 1864 Staffordshire, died 1948 Queensland, Australia
Dorans - Ireland to Scotland to Queensland, Australia
Ralph - Ireland to Scotland to Queensland, Australia
Jillett - Robert, Transported Convict from Surrey
Christison - Edinburgh,Scotland
Cameron - Edinburgh, Scotland