Author Topic: Windows 10 April update  (Read 8732 times)

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 10 April update
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 01 May 18 11:43 BST (UK) »
I have a Windows 7 computer but have not had any updates since last November?

I have Windows 7 too - I've had more than 30 updates since the beginning of this year. Some may not apply to you but there have been Security updates among the 30 + . What happens if you check for updates manually ?

Thanks Christine, I get a message which says "Windows cannot check for updates as the service is not running"

No wonder it hasn't updated for months  ;D

I had a similar thing a while back. I usually try Googling the problem and looking at the hits which take you to the Microsoft Support pages. If you Google " Windows 7 cannot check for updates because the service is not running" you may find something to help. I'm not an expert and I find trying to deal with this sort of thing a bit scarey myself so I wish you luck .

Christine

Edit : I think this is the page that helped me but you will need to look for yourself or get help from someone who knows more :

https://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-7/cannot-run-windows-update-on-a-windows-7-pc/
Census information  Crown Copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 01 May 18 12:20 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for this Christine,but it is way above my head.

I will wait until someone is here to guide me.

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 01 May 18 13:12 BST (UK) »
Carol: I would suggest approaching a neighbour with an technical bias ie teenager available or a local computer shop not one of the high street  national stores. (hands on approach required)
Explain Windows 7 updates not working!
Check that your antivirus program is up to date at the same time.
 Brian
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 01 May 18 14:55 BST (UK) »
Well, prompted by this thread I did a manual update on my laptop (I always try to do the big updates on the laptop first to see if they work before updating the PC which I use mostly for business and can't afford to be without). It took about 2 hours to download on our 4Mb broadband. After about another hour it is 69% installed . . .

Mike.
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 01 May 18 15:13 BST (UK) »
I won't be getting it anytime soon.  My PC has been trying to upload an animalware security update for about a week now, with a que of other updates behind it.  Cannot update the animalware thing and  just sits there saying there is a problem.  But I can't do anything with it.  Apparently looking at google I am not the only person with this problem and at some point I guess MS might get around to sorting it.  Until then I watch the little dots going up and down as it checks for updates before the error message appears again.  The joys of Windows updates!

Kerry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 01 May 18 15:16 BST (UK) »
Mike: Best of look, might see your comments about supper time. ::)
Just stick with it, needed to run my laptop off power adapter as taking so long.
 Brian
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 01 May 18 17:06 BST (UK) »
Just checked my updates and it seems Windows has been updating in the background.  I've updated Firefox without any problems and re-started my machine and now Windows is 82% installed.  I've been using my laptop on and off throughout the day without any problems.  It is a bit slow, but then again it's always a bit slow.  Fortunately, my laptop is permanently plugged in so no likelihood of losing power.

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 01 May 18 17:21 BST (UK) »
Mike: Best of look, might see your comments about supper time. ::)
Just stick with it, needed to run my laptop off power adapter as taking so long.
 Brian

I left it to get on with it while I went shopping and did a few jobs outside. Eventually finished installing about an hour ago, so between 4 and 5 hours altogether - a good bit faster than the last one. And once I'd turned off all the "special features" I never use it seems to be ok  8)  In fact I wouldn't have noticed any difference if it had updated on its own overnight.

Will comment further if/when I find anything interesting  :)

Mike.
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 01 May 18 17:26 BST (UK) »
I'm glad I raised the point as I have now managed to get my computer to start updates again.
I discovered that there is a troubleshoot link for Windows Updates and using that seemed to do the trick.

It is now in the process of installing dozens of updates that haven't been done since last November!

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk