Author Topic: Windows 10 April update  (Read 8708 times)

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 10 April update
« Reply #54 on: Tuesday 22 May 18 09:44 BST (UK) »
It

took about 20 mins to update and  about the same or even less to configure.

Same here, looks like the settings are the same as before, but it did want to show me the tips that are new :D

Cheers
KHP
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Tuesday 22 May 18 09:47 BST (UK) »
Can also report no problems, took about an hour, there was a good few choices to make at the start.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Tuesday 22 May 18 10:08 BST (UK) »
OH has a newish laptop and an older desktop which runs Win10 updated from Win7. Neither have so far had the April update message. Maybe he's got his working hours set to max!!

I'm not looking forward to the desktop update as, I think, the problems seem to be arising from the Win7/8 conversions  :-\
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Old Bristolian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stephen Bumstead 1844-1903
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Tuesday 22 May 18 10:41 BST (UK) »
I don't know if anyone can help, but since the latest update I cannot open any OpenOffice files. I have tried uploading OpenOffice again, but the laptop seems to interfere with it and won't let it complete.
Bumstead - London, Suffolk
Plant, Woolnough, Wase, Suffolk
Flexney, Godfrey, Burson, Hobby -  Oxfordshire
Street, Mitchell - Gloucestershire
Horwood, Heale Drew - Bristol
Gibbs, Gait, Noyes, Peters, Padfield, Board, York, Rogers, Horler, Heale, Emery, Clavey, Mogg, - Somerset
Fook, Snell - Devon
M(a)cDonald, Yuell, Gollan, McKenzie - Rosshire
McLennan, Mackintosh - Inverness
Williams, Jones - Angelsey & Caernarvon
Campbell, McMartin, McLellan, McKercher, Perthshire

Offline Calverley Lad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Tuesday 22 May 18 13:27 BST (UK) »
Both my laptops were updated from Windows 7, no major problems so far.
When it came to an office program I opted for  LibreOffice 6. (Currently updating)
 Brian
When it comes to update to Windows 10 I just did a check for updates.
Currently using ver 1803 Windows 10
Yewdall/Yewdell/Youdall -Yorkshire

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Tuesday 22 May 18 13:47 BST (UK) »
There definitely seems to be a problem with recent Windows updates causing conflicts with some third-party software, but I can't pin it down at the moment. Cynics might suggest Microsoft are doing this deliberately to force everyone to use their software, but this would be very shortsighted as it could drive a lot more people to switch to Linux  8)

I've had trouble with an older version of PaintShop Pro which now refuses to install despite working perfectly with an earlier version of Windows 10  :-\

Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Tuesday 22 May 18 14:55 BST (UK) »
There definitely seems to be a problem with recent Windows updates causing conflicts with some third-party software, but I can't pin it down at the moment. Cynics might suggest Microsoft are doing this deliberately to force everyone to use their software, but this would be very shortsighted as it could drive a lot more people to switch to Linux  8)

I've had trouble with an older version of PaintShop Pro which now refuses to install despite working perfectly with an earlier version of Windows 10  :-\

I don't think anyone will pin it down as no 2 computers are 100% alike. Different Apps, Printers etc etc. Some Sync'd to other Devices, some not.

The next few updates will probably be trying to resolve "difficulties" and then when resolved we'll all get another W10 update which will probably cause more "difficulties"  and the next few updates to that will probably be trying to resolve "difficulties" and then when resolved we'll all get another W10 and the next few updates....... ;D ;D
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Saturday 26 May 18 10:44 BST (UK) »
I finally gave up on my 11 year old Dell laptop as it just wouldn't update anything.  Bought a new Dell Inspiron laptop, very nice and had trouble updating some of the ver 1709 updates but then the day after I bought it updated the 1803 ver and now everything fine and dandy.  Only took about 4 hours to update in all but we have a slow broadband here.

My main worry was having a laptop I could run Family Historian on and that is fine too so I am happy. :)

Kerryb
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....