Author Topic: Photo Date of William Johnson  (Read 911 times)

Offline rot1927

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Photo Date of William Johnson
« on: Tuesday 01 May 18 11:26 BST (UK) »
The Photograph is either of My Grand Father William Johnson d 1962, or my Great Grand Father George  in Leverton, Lincolnshire.

Could you please give me a date for this photograph if possible.
If anyone would like to try to restore a little, that would be really appreciated!

thank you.

Offline Trishanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Photo Date of William Johnson
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 May 18 21:41 BST (UK) »
 Hi there and welcome to the restoration board. I am afraid I am useless at dating photos, to me this could be the 1950s, but equally it could be the 1920s, I am hoping by bumping this up the forum, somebody will really be able to help you.
I have tried to clean your photo up a bit, but it is not an easy one as it is such a small resolution.
Pat
Bownass - Lancashire & Westmorland
Hoggarth - Lancashire & Westmorland
Jackson- Lancaster
Waller - Dent, Yorkshire dales
Omerod - Lancashire
Redburn - Lancashire
Evans - Hereford

RESTORERS please do not use my restores without my permission THANK YOU

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 03 May 18 09:01 BST (UK) »
I'm not much chop at dating, and men's fashions in isolation can be misleading (I've been wearing the same suit for nearly 40 years on and off - apparently it's now back in fashion :)). But my first impression would be 1920s - early 30s before exaggeratedly wide shoulders became the fashion. Later 40s and 50s lost the padded shoulders but retained a little more tapering than appears to be the case in your picture. My guess - emphasising "guess" - would be a late 1920s picture of a man aged 35-40 (but even his age is hard because the photo is quite blurry) so perhaps someone born in the last decade of the 19th century. It could be later but unlikely to be earlier.

I've straightened the image and cleaned it up but I couldn't improve the clarity much because it's too much out of focus.

Cheers,
Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline rot1927

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 May 18 10:53 BST (UK) »
Thank's McGroger,

Thanks for your efforts with the picture, turned out pretty good considering the resolution.

Your dating of the photograph and age of person in it..  could well be on the money.
My Grand Father was born in 1878 so I recon 35 to 40 will not be far out.

Great Stuff.

Offline japeflakes

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 03 May 18 12:49 BST (UK) »
`is this better to work with?

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 03 May 18 13:04 BST (UK) »
Rot, your maths might be out a bit. :-\ If he was born in 1878 he would need to be about 50 in the picture if my guess is correct - he could be, it's hard to tell his age - or the picture could have been taken a little earlier. Anyway, it certainly wouldn't be your great grandfather.
And please bear in mind that one of the experts might come along and say that my guess is rubbish. ;)
Cheers,
Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline rot1927

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 03 May 18 16:05 BST (UK) »
Hi McGroger,

Looking young runs in the family,  people still call me lad even though I am older then them.
It must be in the genes.
Great Grandfather was born in 1854,  the original picture looked to be sepia and that made me think it was possibly earlier than 1900, but I am no expert in these matters and leave for people who are more knowledgeable.

I will have to see if any experts as you say, can shed more light on the subject.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 03 May 18 16:08 BST (UK) »
The most accurate dates come from posting the whole photo and the back if you have it as men's clothing didn't vary much except the collar and tie arrangement. Is it a postcard?
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline rot1927

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 03 May 18 16:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Japeflakes,

Wow.. cracking image, what res is that in, 600 or higher!

thanks anyway, can see a lot clearer.