Author Topic: Possible Gypsy Ancestry? HUTCHISON, Scotland  (Read 5884 times)

Offline Lana2017

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Possible Gypsy Ancestry? HUTCHISON, Scotland
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 06 May 18 17:57 BST (UK) »
Wondering just who the parents are and the reason Mary (Ann ) Heywood has young children in her household who appear to stay with either her or become a Servant for her married daughter Agnes?

Yeah seems an odd arrangement, can't quite figure it out. No joy finding the parents either. I might restart my subscription of findmypast, they sometimes seem to have records that ancestry miss.

Our people were so much more than just a litany of names, even it it does stretch back to 1066  ;)

Exactly! I feel like I'm telling a story rather than just creating a list of facts about people :)
I have a visual impairment which makes research difficult to please forgive any silly questions :)
Hutchison - Midlothian
Dow & Gray - Ayrshire
McQuillan - Ballymena /  Donegal
Reilly - Cavan / Cork

Offline Steve G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Maternal Great Gran ~ Polly Burge
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 06 May 18 18:01 BST (UK) »
I might restart my subscription of findmypast ...

Watch them! I had a months worth. Then 'Cancelled'. Took me several months, and some choice invective, to make them Stop helping themselves to my bank account!  >:(
GAITES (Alverstoke / Bath Pre 1850)
CURTIS (Portsmouth & 1800's Berkshire).
BURGE (Dorset, Somerset and Hampshire)
HUNTLEY (Dorset, Hampshire, Sussex, 'Surroundings')

Offline Lana2017

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 07 May 18 20:01 BST (UK) »
Watch them! I had a months worth. Then 'Cancelled'. Took me several months, and some choice invective, to make them Stop helping themselves to my bank account

Yikes, thanks for the heads-up - I'll be careful if I do renew  my subscription. Pity as they seem to have more Irish records than Ancestry and tracing my Irish relatives has been really tough (don't know if it's just my luck or if there's a historical reason for lack of Irish records?)
I have a visual impairment which makes research difficult to please forgive any silly questions :)
Hutchison - Midlothian
Dow & Gray - Ayrshire
Reilly - Cavan / Cork

Offline Steve G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Maternal Great Gran ~ Polly Burge
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 07 May 18 20:13 BST (UK) »
Yeppers. I still have the transcript of the 'Live Chat' I had with one of their people. Where she apologised for the theft and stated, categorically, that the payments were now turned off. Guess what happened next!!!  >:(

Irish records are, quite frankly, a nightmare! For various reasons, they just weren't kept well / don't exist.

Interesting point raised here though; I've always rather hoped for someone with local ancestors to need me to try and track theirs, via the church records. I wouldn't have a clue where to start. But, it could be fun trying.

And ye've just reminded me: I'm talking to a member, on here, who's in Australia. But, whose Gt Grandparents ~ or there abouts ~ actually came from my local town!

Blimey! I may have to find the local priest. Even get my camera and start searching the grave yard!  :D

So, there we have it. Even if the Irish records, on line, are a bit naff? Never give up hope. Ye may yet run into someone living within five miles of where ye rellies lived  8)
GAITES (Alverstoke / Bath Pre 1850)
CURTIS (Portsmouth & 1800's Berkshire).
BURGE (Dorset, Somerset and Hampshire)
HUNTLEY (Dorset, Hampshire, Sussex, 'Surroundings')

Offline hiyamarra

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 05 February 19 10:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I just saw this post, and hope you are still following it
Your original question, were the Hutchinson's/Hutchison's travellers (both spellings are used). The answer is a very definite YES.
My 5G Grandfather William Hutchinson c1752 was a basket maker. I believe he was born in the parish of Rockcliffe just on the English side of the border with Scotland. His cousin Peter was born in Scotland, he was also a basket maker and his descendants dropped the "n"
William Hutchinson had 13 children that I know of and  i'm in contact with over 50 descendants. We have all taken a DNA test.
It would be great to prove a connection to you. If we are related, I have lots of info, stories etc
Regards
Keenan, McKenzie, Knowles, Berry, Gregg, Hutchinson, Allan, Strickland.

Offline Lana2017

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 26 February 19 20:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I just saw this post, and hope you are still following it
Your original question, were the Hutchinson's/Hutchison's travellers (both spellings are used). The answer is a very definite YES.
My 5G Grandfather William Hutchinson c1752 was a basket maker. I believe he was born in the parish of Rockcliffe just on the English side of the border with Scotland. His cousin Peter was born in Scotland, he was also a basket maker and his descendants dropped the "n"
William Hutchinson had 13 children that I know of and  i'm in contact with over 50 descendants. We have all taken a DNA test.
It would be great to prove a connection to you. If we are related, I have lots of info, stories etc
Regards

Hi,
just saw your post first time I have checked this thread in awhile! That's really interesting about your relatives it would be really cool if it does turn out we have a connection. I haven't gotten any further with trying to find Mary Ann hutchisons parents unfortunately I did find her death certificate but the parents were not listed and the records are very sparse after that. I've had a DNA test done and so has my dad (the suspected traveller ancestry is on his side), we could try and see if we are a match on gedmatch if you like?

Thanks!
Hutchison - Midlothian
Dow & Gray - Ayrshire
Reilly - Cavan / Cork