Author Topic: Help with mother’s maiden name  (Read 3346 times)

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
Re: Help with mother’s maiden name
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 01 May 18 23:29 BST (UK) »
I am researching a John Walker.
He married Mary Jane Honeyset(t) in Edinburgh in 1858. Address for both was 39 Potterow. He was age 23, a Journeyman Joiner ( bachelor) and was the son of John Walker, Foreman Iron Founder and Sarah Walker nee Hassell. Mary Jane was age 21, a servant ( spinster) daughter of Richard Honeysett, Farm Servant and Johan Henrietta Sanderson.Witnesses were Frederick Stapleton and Jessie Shiells
John died on 25th July 1885 at 96 St James Road, Glasgow age 52. He was married to Mary Jane Honeysett and was a Joiner Journeyman and Army Pensioner. Father John Walker, Coalpit Engine Stoker ( decd) and mother was Sarah Walker nee Hassell ( decd). Death registered by his widow Mary Jane.
They had the following children-
Alison Thomson Walker  1858 Tranent ( died 1858)
Sarah Ann Walker 1861 Poona, India
Joan Ann Walker 1863 Greenwich
Jemima Walker 1866 Dumbarton
Margaret Jane 1868 Dumbarton
Richard Honeysett Walker 1870 Dumbarton
John Walker 1872 Dumbarton
Mary Jane Walker 1874 Dumbarton
Alice Honeysett Walker 1877 Glasgow

In 1871 they were at Dumbarton Barracks. John was age 39, Gunner RA, born England
In 1881 they were 96 St James Road, Glasgow. John was 49, a Joiner out of employ, born England

I am trying to trace information on John prior to the 1858 marriage and also anything pertaining to his army career.
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 02 May 18 00:05 BST (UK) »
Isobel,

I have a couple of 'Sarah's who have at times used Hannah (interchangeable) if it's of any help? or the opposite, being Hannah but using Sarah!

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 02 May 18 00:49 BST (UK) »
Isobel,

I had a wee look around & nothing coming up with Walker/Hassell so I wonder if John was born Hassell (there's variants), maybe father died & mother remarried or lived with a Mr Walker & he 'assumed' her m/s was Hassell & Mr Walker to be his father?

I realise Greenwich is London area i.e. just a thought & may be worth a look?...

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01lzt/

I forgot to add, when a married woman in Scotland remarries both her maiden & previous marital surname are recorded but I'm not sure how things would be in England?

The marriages I have for England where the partner was previously married are male i.e. I can't help although others may be able to expand on that aspect?

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 02 May 18 08:41 BST (UK) »
Annie - thanks for looking. Glad it is not just me that is drawing a blank. I did find one Walker/ Hassell birth in Burton on Trent in Dec quarter of 1841 for a girl called Letitia Ann ( gro have her as Lelilia Ann) and wondered if she could be a sibling. She married in Burton on Trent in 1857 but I can’t find her in 1851 nor can I see possible parents with the correct first names in Burton on Trent in 1841.
John appears to have joined the Royal Artillery sometime between his marriage in 1858 and the birth of Sarah Ann in India in 1861 and to have left the army by the time Alice was born in 1877. I’ve trawled the army records on Ancestry and FindMyPast but not found anything.
Isobel

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 02 May 18 14:48 BST (UK) »
Isobel,

Not sure if you have the BC for Sarah Ann Walker 1861 Poona, India but if not, a post on 'Other Countries' board may be an idea with a link to here as this may give his regiment although I really don't know?

Annie

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 02 May 18 15:08 BST (UK) »
Sarah Ann’s birth is recorded in the British India Office records on FindMyPast. It says her father John was a Gunner, Royal Artillery.
I have also now seen the 1857 marriage for Letitia Walker and her father was a George Walker, so that looks like a dead end as well.
Isobel

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 02 May 18 15:19 BST (UK) »
Strange there's no Army Record, have you tried the Armed Forces board?

So frustrating for you in all directions  ::)

Annie

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 02 May 18 15:33 BST (UK) »
Wonder if Burton on Trent is correct. Have a look at the service record for John Walker born 1831 with location Burton on Trent. States he was a gunner in the Royal Artillery- enlisted 1852 and discharged in 1873 in Dumbarton. His trade is given as joiner. Might he be your man?

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 02 May 18 15:35 BST (UK) »
Well done William as that sure looks good!

Annie