Author Topic: I wonder whether anyone is able to help me again please?  (Read 1686 times)

Offline GuyMassey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: I wonder whether anyone is able to help me again please?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 02 May 18 09:52 BST (UK) »
THANK YOU SO MUCH for helping me everyone. My Scots side has been baffling me for ages. The Mactaggarts in particular. I am sure that somewhere a painting of one of the "seniors" must exist somewhere, they were so big in Singapore, they had streets and buildings named after them! I did manage to track down photographs and info about Catherine's half brothers Francis D. and James G. and a fair bit of other info in the Singapore press archives. My other challenge (along with a cousin) is to try and push our Massey (Massie) line back beyond Andrew a shoemaker in Banff b.1672 in Aberdeen. This one hit a brick wall that neither of us were able to solve. So I will be asking for help there (in the appropriate place) later! ;-)
Massey (London, Woking, Teignmouth), Massie (Banff, Aberdeen - Scotland) Sullivan, O'Sullivan (Kanturk Ireland, London, Woolwich) Mactaggart (Montrose, Angus, Scotland, Singapore), Thornhill (Surrey), Lyall, Walsh, Linehan, Holland, Langton, Armstrong.

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 02 May 18 10:21 BST (UK) »
Just to add that you can see some of the actual images for Singapore bmds in the British India Collection on FindMyPast. The death record for Mary Mactaggart includes her cause of death - I think it says ulceration of the bowel (not completely sure of the first word).

There are also images for the baptism of Catherine Mactaggart and her half sisters Alice and Elizabeth - Elizabeth's burial record is also there.She died in infancy her cause of death being recorded as "visitation by god".

You might also find it useful to look at the Families in British India Society (FBIS) website.

William

Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline GuyMassey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 02 May 18 10:48 BST (UK) »
Just to add that you can see some of the actual images for Singapore bmds in the British India Collection on FindMyPast. The death record for Mary Mactaggart includes her cause of death - I think it says ulceration of the bowel (not completely sure of the first word).

There are also images for the baptism of Catherine Mactaggart and her half sisters Alice and Elizabeth - Elizabeth's burial record is also there.She died in infancy her cause of death being recorded as "visitation by god".

You might also find it useful to look at the Families in British India Society (FBIS) website.

William

Hello William, thank you for your advice. I am an Ancestry member already and joined FindMyPast yesterday for access to BNL with extras! There seem to be a lot more sources out there but it would cost a fortune to join them all! A five year absence from researching my roots has left me lagging behind so any new pointers are very welcome!
Massey (London, Woking, Teignmouth), Massie (Banff, Aberdeen - Scotland) Sullivan, O'Sullivan (Kanturk Ireland, London, Woolwich) Mactaggart (Montrose, Angus, Scotland, Singapore), Thornhill (Surrey), Lyall, Walsh, Linehan, Holland, Langton, Armstrong.