Author Topic: Albert Myburgh(Meijburgh) 1672 - 1749 - married Elsie Van der Merwe  (Read 1274 times)

Offline Margruss

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Albert Myburgh(Meijburgh) 1672 - 1749 - married Elsie Van der Merwe
« on: Tuesday 01 May 18 22:31 BST (UK) »
I wonder if anyone can help. I am trying to determine who Albert's parents were. There is a lot of conflicting information around this. There is baptismal transcription in the Cape records for 1/5/1672 stating his parents as Lammert Lammerz and Aaljie. The Geslacht register der Oude Kaapsche familien states his parents as Jan Lambert Meijburgh and Anna Maria De Laar. Many other websites are just as confusing with Albert's parentage stating a birth for him around 1690 but I am unable to find any records for this.
 I wonder too where the surname Meijburgh fits in as it is not used in many documents - lammert is just called Lammert Lammerz.
I understand that Lammert Lammerz and Aaljie Albertz came from the Netherlands with Jan Lambert who was born in Buiksloot. The information I have read states that Jan did not have any sons and that Albert was the progenitor of the Myburghs at the Cape. However there is a baptismal record in 1710 in The Dutch Reformed church records for an Albert Myburgh with parents stated as Jan Myburgh and his 2nd wife Sophia Zank. This Albert did marry and have a son!
I would welcome any clarification for this.
Many thanks
Margaret

Offline Gillian Mauchan

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Eliza Warr c 1900 Found her she lied about her age
    • View Profile
Re: Albert Myburgh(Meijburgh) 1672 - 1749 - married Elsie Van der Merwe
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 May 18 13:36 BST (UK) »
Hi
the First Fifty Years project has a lot of information - http://www.e-family.co.za/ffy/g6/p6771.htm
which gives Jan as much married which includes your Albert as one of the sons. Her research covers the first 50 years of the colony so does not include Albert's marriage - have you checked the eggsa.org marriage transcriptions for a marriage? There is a transcript for a marriage - which could be him as sometimes they married quite late.

23 September 1753
Albert Jansz Meyburg
and
Sophia van Rooijen

1753, Den 23 September
is getrout Albert Jansz Meyburg van
Cabo de Goede Hoop burger alhier jongman
met Sophia van Rooijen van Cabo de Goede
Hoop jonge dogter.
Source: Nederduits Gereformeerde Gemeente (NGK), Cape Town, . marriage register, 1713-1756. Repository: NG Kerkargief, Noordwal-Wes, Stellenbosch, G1 13/1. Transcribed by Corney Keller, from photographs of Cape Archives VC 621.
She also has another son of Lammertz Albert http://www.e-family.co.za/ffy/g8/p8128.htm
who marries Elsje van der Merwe - he was baptised in the Cape in 1672 - transcriptions of these baptisms are on the eggsa.org website - familysearch does not have copies of the
Regards
Gillian
WARR, MAUCHAN, GOWANS,Guest,Whitcomb. Taute, Webb,Pascual

Offline Margruss

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 May 18 21:49 BST (UK) »
Thank you- yes I have that information

Offline Gillian Mauchan

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Eliza Warr c 1900 Found her she lied about her age
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 May 18 02:19 BST (UK) »
Looking at the FFY project the Albert that was baptised in 1672
Den 1 May
een soontje van Lammert Lammertz en Aaltje syn huysvr' wiert genaamt Albert, transcribed by Richard Ball, Norfolk, England, (May 2006), Genealogical Society of South Africa, eGSSA Branch http://www.eggsa.org/. Hereinafter cited as Nederduitsch Gereformeerde Kerk, Kerken Boek (Bapt.).

It is the son that probably married Elsje c 1707 - no one has located a marriage record
His will drawn up in 1720 https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-C9BY-X9F5-Z?cat=64687 lists his name as Albert Lammertsz Meijburg - which tends to point to him being Lammertz' child . Also he names he eldest son Lammertz
I have not looked for the next generation - but it would appear that Albert and Elsje had 6 sons and 2 daughters
Also if you look at the following entry in the Cape Archives - it would appear that the family adopted the surname Meijburg on arrival at the Cape and that they came from a place called Meijburg!
WARR, MAUCHAN, GOWANS,Guest,Whitcomb. Taute, Webb,Pascual

Offline Margruss

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 03 May 18 03:01 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply.  I'm sure you are right, It is just that other websites have been misleading  eg
Familysearch gives Albert a birth date of 1693 to Jan Lambrechts Myburgh and Anna Maria de Laar.
Rootsweb tree of life state parents as above with birth date 1690 and bap in Buiksloot, Netherlands
www.1820 settlers gives birth of an Albert to above parents avbout 1694,
C.C. de Villiers Old Cape families states that Albert first son of Jan and Anna Marai married Elsie Van der Merwe.
I have the record for Albert bap 1710 and being son of Jan and Sophia Zank - obviously not the Albeert who married Elsie Van der Merwe!!
I had not seen Alberts will before.
This means Elsie Meijburgh(Alberts Daughter) married Jan Meijburghs daughers son. N ot unusual in those days.
Regards
Margaret