Author Topic: Gladstone Rd  (Read 1271 times)

Offline alan w jones

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gladstone Rd
« on: Wednesday 02 May 18 07:25 BST (UK) »
Hello , sorry no clues to help here but wondered if Gladstone Rd rung any bells ? Could be England but will post on Wales too , thanks .
Regards
Alan

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Gladstone Rd
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 May 18 07:56 BST (UK) »
Presumably it is a postcard? Is there anything on the other side? Sometimes you can narrow down a date range from seeing the reverse - not that it helps with finding the location.  :)

I get the impression that the houses are newly built - it looks like there is one on the top of the hill with scaffolding around it? Also horses and carts (blurred) on the road, may give a dating clue too.

Is this a single postcard or was it included with others? If so are any of those locations known, in case there is a clue there? County for example? What leads you to believe that Wales may be the location? :-\

They are big houses and my first thought was that they may be built to take advantage of a "sea view"....

There must be dozens of roads called "Gladstone Road" in the UK .... but I'm sure someone will solve this for you. :)

Offline alan w jones

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 May 18 08:07 BST (UK) »
Hello , thank you for your thoughts , it is a postcard but not sent , it is British as it says " A half penny stamp for inland , One penny Foreign . No other clues I'm afraid . I agree it looks like a seaside sort of a road .
Regards
Alan

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 May 18 08:20 BST (UK) »
I had a quick look at google maps and ruled out any Gladstone Roads which did not have a curve. As you mentioned Wales, I honed in on Gladstone Road in Barry, which has a curve and did not exist on this map:
http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=17&lat=51.4079&lon=-3.2703&layers=6&right=BingHyb

Possibly supporting my vague theory about newly built houses?

There is the seaside to the south.

Modern google streetview does not help as the road appears to have been widened and if any big houses did stand on the road, they are no longer there.

It is also possible that the Gladstone Road in the photo no longer exists or has had a name change.

Regarding the back of the postcard, there may still be clues to date eg divided back, stamp box etc etc.

I have to sign off now but will return later (and hope that someone has solved the puzzle by then).

Good luck.  :)

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 02 May 18 08:39 BST (UK) »
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline alan w jones

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 02 May 18 08:57 BST (UK) »
Well done both of you , they did live in Barry for a short time at Tynewydd Rd .
Marvellous and much appreciated .
Regards
Alan

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 02 May 18 09:08 BST (UK) »
 :D
Fantastic work.
I am SO impressed every time the RC stalwarts come up with such a swift result.
Hi five.  :-*
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 02 May 18 14:23 BST (UK) »
It is Gladstone Road Barry, see street view at https://goo.gl/maps/NkdHYhWLrS62 and https://goo.gl/maps/G23cKo3KQ4r
1920 map at https://www.old-maps.co.uk/index.html#/Map/311603/168381/12/101077
Stan

Very good Stan. I was looking a bit further along Gladstone Road and had to rush off to do other things so was not at all thorough in my search. That's my excuse anyway.  ;) I'm pleased to see the houses still standing after all.