Author Topic: Daniel Cornelius Crew  (Read 3400 times)

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Daniel Cornelius Crew
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 02 May 18 22:06 BST (UK) »
UK Police Gazettes have a description from when he was on the run for the offence linked to above - 5ft 8 or 9, slight build, dark brown hair, grey eyes, sallow complexion and an awkward slouchy walk; dressed in old dark mixture cloth trousers, vest and coat, with pockets on hips, all very ragged, old black bowler hat, old lace boots very much worn. Likely to seek work at farms or drive horses a collieries.

Online Helina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Willow
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 03 May 18 07:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks Mabel, Interesting and added to my tree.

helina
Austin,Bistol
Coole,Bristol
Lewis, Bristol
Williams,Olveston
Howard,Bristol
Shepherd Admonsbury.
Tinney, Plymouth.
Ogborn,Bristol.
Blore.Derbyshire,Bristol,Redditch.
Richards,Bristol
Milson, Bitton
Harrison, Derbyshire
Census information Crown Copyright  from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hughtin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 24 October 18 14:45 BST (UK) »
Hi, Daniel Cornelius Crew's Farther is Cornelius Crew Born 1852 Hawksbury, Gloucestershire, Daniel had 2 brothers and a sister, the 2 brother are half brothers same farther. The Brothers are George born about 1891 Fred born 1893, and sister Rose born  late 1870s, Cornelius Crew changed his name some time in the 1880 to George Drew, all the family members use the Drew name after that date. George Drew Formerly CC married his third wife abt 1888.
DDC married Matilda in Rowley Regis in the west midlands and can be found in the Census as Daniel Drew, He had a number of children and moved up North where he lived until his death in the 1st WW on the western front. On his move North sometime after 1901 he changed his name back to Crew.
The person referred to in the other reply for stealing was Daniels farther Cornelius Crew.
Rose married Arther Ward and lived in Ross on Wye and around the Cradley area in the West Mids.
If you search under the names I have given you can find quite a lot.
George Drew B1891 ended up living in the Doncaster area where some of his descendants still live.

Cornelius appears to have spent his life traveling between South Wales where at least one of his Brothers (Mark Crew) lived and Hawksbury where he was born. Mark Crews descendants still live in South Wales.
The Crews go back a long way in Hawksbury, there used to be a Hawksbury website that contained their family tree but it appears to have disappeared. The last mention of Cornelius Crew - George Drew is in the 1901 C where he is in the Bromyard, Hereford workhouse  with his two youngest sons. There is no mention of him after this, I know he left the youngest children with their older half brother and sister in the Midlands, but I do not know what happend to him.
He suffered from epilepsy according to his discharge papers from the army.
I cant find anything about his third wife appart from their marrage, she was Annie Priece, Cant find here birth or death. The marrage certificate appears to contain incorrect information, Georges age is wrong Annie's name first appears to be 20 but is changed to 21 (presumeably, because she would need her farther consent if she was under 21) Im convinced it is the right couple as both George and Fred's birth certs. show George Drew and Annie Preece as the parents. Ive searched to see if I could find another couple with the same names but could find nothing. Also both Fathers have the name Drew on the marrage Cert.

Ps there is a related topic here regarding Rose Crew/Drew.  With Photo of Rose and George.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=101453.msg3082685#msg3082685

I have been researching Cornelius for about 25 years so have quite a bit of info about him let me know if you have any questions.

Hope this all helps, Martin.
by the way I am a descendant of George Drew (CC). May I ask your connection?

Offline hughtin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 25 October 18 16:47 BST (UK) »
See https://www.familysearch.org/tree/pedigree/landscape/MJS4-64H for a family tree for Cornelius Crew, don't know how accurate it is haven't checked it.

Online Helina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Willow
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 25 October 18 19:15 BST (UK) »
Hughtin

Thank you for the information.  The information on Cornelius's family I have is

Cornelius Crew b 1852 Hawkesbury, baptised 8th Aug 1852. Married to Alice Kingstone on the 30th Sept 1876, she died in 1884. Cornelius marries Mary Ann Brown 0n the 13th March 1886.
Children of Cornelius and Alice
Daniel Cornelius Crew 1878-1878

Rosina Crew born on the 20th July 1879

Daniel Cornelius Crew 1882 Newport

helina
Austin,Bistol
Coole,Bristol
Lewis, Bristol
Williams,Olveston
Howard,Bristol
Shepherd Admonsbury.
Tinney, Plymouth.
Ogborn,Bristol.
Blore.Derbyshire,Bristol,Redditch.
Richards,Bristol
Milson, Bitton
Harrison, Derbyshire
Census information Crown Copyright  from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hughtin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 26 October 18 09:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Helina, See attached birth certificate for Cornelius Crew, I will attach a few other files but I can only attach one file at a time as there is a size restriction.

Martin

Offline hughtin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 26 October 18 09:29 BST (UK) »
Cornelius Crew's Brother Mark Photo

Offline hughtin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile