Author Topic: 18th Century Dublin  (Read 1366 times)

Offline IJDisney

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
18th Century Dublin
« on: Wednesday 02 May 18 10:51 BST (UK) »
Are there any sources that might help with finding more information about my ancestral uncles (two brothers) who lived in Dublin in the late 17th and early 18th centuries?

1. Samuel D'Assigny (1674-1737). Whilst a young man, fresh out of Oxford University, he tried to become ordained in the Anglican Church but was refused. Undeterred he traveled in Devon and Somerset preaching under a false license and was eventually arrested by the Bishop of Bath and Wells. He absconded from custody and went to Ireland probably in 1696. He was in Dublin by 1698. He wrote a number of books on his religious viewpoints, and continued to preach, and also conduct marriages, without a license. He traveled back to England in 1702 (he married Sarah Jones in Feb 1702 in London), but was back in Dublin by 1710. He was arrested in Dublin in 1732 for preaching without a license and was in Dublin jail for a couple of months. He was buried at St.Paul's, Dublin in October 1737, where the same year he had a son baptized in September and buried in November. The mother of this child was Judith, so Samuel seems to have married twice.

2.. Fifield D'Assigny (1711-1745). He was educated, apprenticed and married (in December 1735 to Elizabeth Bartlett) in London, but appears to have been in Dublin by June 1737. He lived in Fleet Street, Dublin in 1738 and in Wer Street, (Werburghs Street?), Dublin in 1745. He was buried at St.Werburghs in January 1745. In London he was apprenticed as an apothecary, but in Dublin he claimed the title 'Doctor of Medicine'. He was a Freemason, and wrote books on the subject. His wife was buried in Liverpool in 1743.

Any information on where I might find more about where these two men lived, and what documents they might appear in (and how to find them) in Dublin would be appreciated.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 18th Century Dublin
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 May 18 11:30 BST (UK) »
Possibly in Sam's Registers??

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline IJDisney

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 May 18 22:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks hallmark. Unfortunately it looks like the registers are some 60+ years too late for Samuel D'Assigny. Nice to see him mentioned though.

If he was 'notorious', then presumably there must be more recorded about him. I wonder where the quoted text came from?

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 May 18 22:49 BST (UK) »
The purchased registers are too late...but  he probably kept his registers too.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 02 May 18 23:06 BST (UK) »
Most records for them probably aren;t in Dublin..... have you checked Walt Disney's Pedigree??  D'assigny should be on it.

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 03 May 18 15:39 BST (UK) »
 his wedding to Sarah Jones 17.2.1701 is on family search

http://www.familysearch.org

a few D'assigny listed on this site under England

Offline IJDisney

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 03 May 18 23:03 BST (UK) »
The purchased registers are too late...but  he probably kept his registers too.

There is no mention of earlier registers in the article. Does anyone know if earlier registers exist, and where they are?

Offline IJDisney

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 03 May 18 23:11 BST (UK) »
Most records for them probably aren;t in Dublin..... have you checked Walt Disney's Pedigree??  D'assigny should be on it.

Why not in Dublin? Where should I be looking?

I'm familiar with Walt Disney's Irish family. Despite Disney being an unusual name, there are at least four separate Disney families with completely different origins. The D'Assigny family (antecedents of my Disney line) is a separate family from Walt Disney's researched line.

Offline IJDisney

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 03 May 18 23:15 BST (UK) »
his wedding to Sarah Jones 17.2.1701 is on family search

http://www.familysearch.org

a few D'assigny listed on this site under England

Thanks for looking. I've checked all those entries, and the ones on findmypast and ancestry.com. They all seem to connect up to the same family.

The transcript has 17 Feb 1701, but that was old style (hence I put 1702 in my OP).