Author Topic: Conisbrough burials  (Read 4247 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: Conisbrough burials
« Reply #9 on: Friday 04 May 18 20:50 BST (UK) »
MissBeeby

Have you tried tracing any relatives, who might know?

----------

Does the Death Certificate list a relative, who might be registering the death?

Calendar (Index) lists up to 1983 may not be complete yet for recent deaths.
https://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl
http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/

If you go to your local Births, Marriages & Deaths, Registrars Office. They will usually be able to give you an Application Form and look the address up of the current Registrar for the District.

--------

WILLS, AMINISTRATIONS & PROBATE
One death at least appears to be listed in the 1994 Probate Calendar, but it is not a Will, only an Administration so very limited information. Might be a relative mentioned or their representative like a Solicitor acting for them.

https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/Calendar?surname=Carter&yearOfDeath=1994&page=23

CARTER, William Stanley of 27 Prior Road, Conisbrough, Doncaster ... see image.

You can order online £10 each.

But like all these documents, you take your chance, as to which will help best and whether the relative (if any in the Admin.) is still alive and traceable.

Mark

Offline missbeeby

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 04 May 18 23:37 BST (UK) »
Hi i asked williams son who lives in conisbrough and he is unsure as he was 4 years old when his grandad albert  died and in germany when his grandma margaret died and he said so no one told him,the probate record is my great uncle williams,do probate records say where they are buried as ive never seen one and would i be daft in thinking if they lived in conisbrough and died in conisbrough they would be buried in the nearest cemertary ??? .

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 05 May 18 03:32 BST (UK) »
Hi MissBeeby

No, a 1994 Probate Administration will NOT usually give burial or cremation information.

But it should usually give you the name and address of the person or a representative who applied in 1994 to the Probate Registry to deal with the deceased person's financial affairs (somebody has to pay for the funeral if they left money), who might still be alive & might be traceable, to ask?

Bear in mind, it may be a Spouse, or Brother or Sister, Son or Daughter, Niece or Nephew, or Solicitor, or other Representative, applying to Administer the deceased person's finances in 1994.

It may be that the Administrator is still alive, or not?

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 05 May 18 07:41 BST (UK) »
Hello MissBeeby

See post above a few hours ago.

Some Wills and Administrations are in "The Gazette" online  ...
(The Gazette - the UK's official public record since 1665.)

Including some who died Intestate (those who left no Will) and other Public Notices relating to people.

No Log in required and it is free to search.

-----------

The person who was 4 years old at time, do they not have any other relatives, who might have a piece of the information you are seeking?

Paying out £26 with one Cemetery authority, if they were buried or cremated in another authority area, a family grave elsewhere, where they were born, or a denominational cemetery, might be a waste of money.

-----------

Some Funeral Directors or Undertakers keep records and sometimes some are helpful and as you have a name AND exact date of death, you could try writing to those in the area, also stating your relationship to the deceased etc., and you may get a reply.

I traced the family of a WW 2 Airman (who flew with my Grandfather, killed in 1940) by writing very polite letters to all the Funeral Homes in a Canadian town where he came from, and enclosing some photocopy proof our family had, that my Grandfather was in the RAF and with the same Squadron and RAF Station.

-----------

You may need a lot of patience to trace these burials or cremations.

Mark

Offline missbeeby

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 05 May 18 10:42 BST (UK) »
Thank you guys for your help and advise, i know who all the family members are and next of kins,they just not so forth coming for instance william carters son is living in conisbrough where william died but has not given me no info as too were his dad is buried he just said there where 2 main cemetarys in conisbrough and that doesnt help me as im not from round there .albert edward carter worked in the pit i have a news paper cutting too say who did the funeral so maybe i should like you have said try and get intouch with them ellis and murgatroyd