Author Topic: Black sheep and brick walls - ideas please  (Read 1002 times)

Offline Headbanger Veron

• RootsChat Veteran
  • 4 generations 1943
    • View Profile
Black sheep and brick walls - ideas please
« on: Sunday 07 August 05 19:11 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for a mystery great great grandfather called Daniel Clements. He married my great great grandmother Louisa Conway in Islington, back in February 1865.  By 1871, she was back living with her parents, with a small daughter, and is listed as a widow on the census - but I can't find a record of Daniel's death in the meantime. The only clues I have to his identity are on the marriage certificate - father's name Richard Clements (labourer), occupation - carman, age - 21. However the age may well be misleading, as Louisa also gives her age as 21 and I know she was only 17. Neither of their parents witnessed the marriage, and the residence of both is given simply as "Balls Pond".

I have trawled Ancestry for Daniel in the 1861 census, and the only one I can find in the London area (Eynsford in Kent), with a father called Richard, was 11 at the time which would make him only 15 at the time of the marriage.  Is this as unlikely as it seems? Or did he tell the truth about his age, but lie about his father's name - in which case there is a possible candidate in 1871 who is a carman aged 26, but whose father's name is different in 1861.

I suspect I may never find out, but if anyone has any ideas about how to identify him positively, I'd be interested to hear them.  ???

Cheers, Veronica

All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Currently researching:
ABRAHAMS (Essex/Woolwich), CARPENTER (Kent)
CLEMENTS (London), CRADDOCK (Sheerness)
HORTON (Birmingham)
MUNCASTER (Whitehaven then Manchester, Scotland, Suffolk and Canada!)
TANCOCK (Devon/Cornwall),
WILSON (Edinburgh)
among others.....

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Black sheep and brick walls - ideas please
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 August 05 21:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Veronica

Not a great deal of help, but have you worked out who the witnesses were?  They may have been friends or workmates, or if you are really lucky relations, who might give a clue to their residence.  Worth following them up anyway.

kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline Headbanger Veron

• RootsChat Veteran
  • 4 generations 1943
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 07 August 05 22:09 BST (UK) »
One is Henry or (Harry) C Smith and the other is Louisa Jolly. I don't think they are relations! It could be worth trying to find Louisa Jolly since that name is less common - I hadn't thought of that.  My Louisa (Conway) was listed in 1861 as being a servant, even though she was at home with her parents - so I suppose the two witnesses could have some connection in that way. Thanks for the idea anyway.

Cheers Veronica
All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Currently researching:
ABRAHAMS (Essex/Woolwich), CARPENTER (Kent)
CLEMENTS (London), CRADDOCK (Sheerness)
HORTON (Birmingham)
MUNCASTER (Whitehaven then Manchester, Scotland, Suffolk and Canada!)
TANCOCK (Devon/Cornwall),
WILSON (Edinburgh)
among others.....

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 07 August 05 22:19 BST (UK) »
Have you identified the little daughter's birth? 

Maybe there would be details on her birth cert?

[Had a look for Louisa Jolly and there are 2 or 3, but prob not much help as you suspected]
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)