Author Topic: Napiers in Glasgow  (Read 995 times)

Offline LEMB

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Napiers in Glasgow
« on: Wednesday 02 May 18 14:05 BST (UK) »
HI,

I'm trying to do some research on family. I know I can't search for the living on here so I'm hoping I can search the ancestors and go down that root instead. I'm trying to find a family who lived in Glasgow under the surname "Napier"? No idea how helpful so little information will be sorry! :( I just know there were definitely napiers in Glasgow around the late 1960's.

Thank you!

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Napiers in Glasgow
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 May 18 16:40 BST (UK) »
Hi ,

Have you looked at the free BMD indexes on Scotlandspeople ?
There's 194 Napier marriages in Lanarkshire between 1950 and 1970.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Napiers in Glasgow
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 May 18 21:28 BST (UK) »
With as vague a query as that, and at as late a date as that, you will struggle to find them, and we cannot give you information here about anyone who could still be living.

There were 166 births of Napiers in Glasgow between 1940 and 1970, and you cannot view online any birth certificate less than 100 years old.

Your best plan would be to go to the Scotland's People Centre in Edinburgh and work your way through those births (and earlier and later ones if necessary) until you find the ones you are looking for.

If you can't get to the centre yourself, you could hire a professional searcher.
See http://www.asgra.co.uk/

If you can give some more clues, someone might be kind enough to offer to look up one or two births for you when visiting a Scotland's People Centre, but not if you are asking for a large number of lookups.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.