Author Topic: Friars Court?  (Read 2752 times)

Offline Lee Morgan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Friars Court?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 03 May 18 00:57 BST (UK) »
Annie,

No number I'm afraid. Just, "Friars Court," for both the location and for the residence of the groom. It's curious. But then, the entry above it simply has, "Parish of Fearn," as usual residence so I should be thankful!

-Lee.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 03 May 18 00:58 BST (UK) »
Yep, looks likely the grooms parents address if the father was Donald then if not it would seem to be another relative;

URQUHART DONALD
Tenant Occupier
HOUSE FRIARS COURT NO 18 FRIARS LANE
INVERNESS

VR004200015-

Friars Lane does seem to be the place & as mentioned about Court, it was probably of no significance i.e. would come under 'Lane' possibly on a map back then?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Lee Morgan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 03 May 18 01:08 BST (UK) »
That's interesting, Annie. Unfortunately, the groom's father was deceased at the time of the union. As far as I'm aware, there is no-one named Donald in the immediate family but I will check that.

As I mentioned before, both groom and bride were from Wester Ross and may have had no family living nearby at the time.

I'm beginning to think they eloped!

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 03 May 18 01:13 BST (UK) »
Just to give you an idea of a 'Court' in Scotland (although this may differ in different areas of Scotland) but back in the early 60s from what I recall, there was an entrance into it, an offshoot of another street with no outward exit i.e. similar to a cul-de-sac if this is of any help & didn't consist of many houses/flats but very secure too as everyone would see who was coming & going so 'nosey' neighbours would know every detail about their neighbours!  ;D

While posting this I got a red alert for your reply...

I would expect with the same surname at the same address there would be some connection although I've no idea who it would be but the address is recorded with Urquhart on the VRs (Voters Roll) & seems more than a coincidence in my own view?

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Lee Morgan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 03 May 18 01:19 BST (UK) »
As I've been discovering, Urquhart isn't exactly an uncommon surname in these parts! But, you're right, it would seem to be a coincidence for them not to be related somehow.

Yes, I understand now about the "court." Thank you. :)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 03 May 18 01:29 BST (UK) »
I had a look at that VR but unfortunately although others have an occ. this Donald doesn't i.e. a search on census' won't be a help from this although he's the Tenant  ::)

Annie

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 03 May 18 04:32 BST (UK) »
Conner, can you provide a link to that (or another good) map please? Before I signed off last night I was going to suggest looking for a map so I am glad you have found one.  :)

National Library of Scotland - 1867 Inverness OS Street map - with the facility to zoom really close in to see the astounding detail (and the choice of various overlays which you can vary the transparency level of using the slider bar). Truly a wonderful resource.
http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=18&lat=57.4808&lon=-4.2311&layers=88&b=1

Yes, thanks ... I'm a regular user of the NLS maps.

This is a wonderful detailed map of the area. It's not clear whether Friars Court is off Friar's Street or Friar's Lane. You can make out some possible "courts" but none are named unfortunately.

I usually follow the enumerator's route to try to narrow down a location, but not in Scotland as you have to pay for each census so can't easily go up and down the streets like you can on the English census.  :)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 03 May 18 04:57 BST (UK) »
Ruskie,

From my reply #10 & the entry on the Voters Roll "FRIARS COURT NO 18 FRIARS LANE"

Apologies for caps as I've only copied & pasted the entry on SP  ;D

Annie

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 03 May 18 05:02 BST (UK) »
Ruskie,

From my reply #10 & the entry on the Voters Roll "FRIARS COURT NO 18 FRIARS LANE"

Apologies for caps as I've only copied & pasted the entry on SP  ;D

Annie

Ah yes, I did read that earlier Annie, and noticed the number 18 and missed the "Friars Lane" part of the address.  :-[

I think that tracing Donald Urquhart might lead to finding family connection .... somewhere.

There don't appear to be many "Courts" off Friar's Lane - there an area which may be a Court almost opposite the Stag Inn? Not sure though ....  :-\