Author Topic: Gordon and Owen interchangable?  (Read 887 times)

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Gordon and Owen interchangable?
« on: Wednesday 02 May 18 16:22 BST (UK) »
Has anyone got a case of the first name Gordon recorded as Owen?
I have two girls I believe are sisters Anne and Mary baptised (RC) in the same parish from the same townland father's surname matches mother's name matches, but one has father as Gordon (Anne) the other Owen (Mary).
Griffith's only gives one family of that surname in the townland but it appears the father was dead by then and only the mother appears.
If I have the correct girls Mary's father on her marriage (transcript) is Gordon, I still have to get her marriage civil cert it's not online yet. Anne married too early for a civil cert and parent's names are not on the church record. Neither girl is witness for the other.

Offline Chilternbirder

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Gordon and Owen interchangable?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 May 18 17:47 BST (UK) »
I have one ancestor who couldm't seem to decide if he was William or Samuel so I would say that it is possible that they are the same person but I would look for more information to confirm that the two girls were siblings or other proof that he used both names.
Crabb from Laurencekirk / Fordoun and Scurry from mid Essex

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 May 18 20:03 BST (UK) »
In Ireland Owen is often interchangeable with Eugene.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline conahy calling

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 May 18 21:23 BST (UK) »
The first name Gordon seems to be used much more among Church of Ireland and Presbyterian people than Roman Catholics.

Is there any possibility that Gordon could have changed his religious denomination and later changed his name to a name more commonly used by RCs?

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 02 May 18 22:50 BST (UK) »
The first name Gordon seems to be used much more among Church of Ireland and Presbyterian people than Roman Catholics.

Is there any possibility that Gordon could have changed his religious denomination and later changed his name to a name more commonly used by RCs?

Interesting thought,but you'd expect the marriage to say Owen in that case not Gordon.
Trouble is you can't trust the priest to get the facts straight, he may never have used Owen.
I'm still gong through the register but if the information I have is correct they only had two children.