Author Topic: Few more Essex burials  (Read 1946 times)

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Few more Essex burials
« on: Wednesday 02 May 18 16:24 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Can anyone find anything on:

Sarah Thorogood, died 1912, Shalford
Charles Graves, died 1914, probably Great Bardfield

As well as:
Hannah Rebecca Graves, died 1928, Farnham District - this apparently covers parts of Surrey and Hampshire

Thanks,

Adam
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Few more Essex burials
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 May 18 16:30 BST (UK) »

As well as:
Hannah Rebecca Graves, died 1928, Farnham District - this apparently covers parts of Surrey and Hampshire

I suggested on your earlier post you would probably need her death certificate

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=792368.msg6485217#msg6485217
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 May 18 17:05 BST (UK) »
Sarah Thorogood
Buried 13 April 1912 at Shalford (St Andrew)
Age 82
Abode Shalford
Buried with husband
(FreeReg)

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 May 18 17:06 BST (UK) »
Much appreciated!
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline horse000

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Ironbridge from the bridge
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 25 May 18 08:17 BST (UK) »
Find A Grave has a Charles Graves buried 1914 [no further date details] St Mary the Virgin, Great Bardfield. Says b. 21 Jun 1845. Parents = James & Mary.

Geoff

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 25 May 18 08:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks! I have the burial date but that gives his birthday as well.

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 25 May 18 08:59 BST (UK) »
Hi your title says 'a few more essex burials' but when Geoff found a burial you said that you already had the date (although the entry he found supplied you with a birthdate).

At age 17 (according to your profile) with presumably, the online world at your fingertips, I just wonder why you are not using the available free online resources to find the answers to some of your numerous posts about burials, as are the individuals helping you.  Its the searching that intrigues most of us rather than just having results gifted to us.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 25 May 18 09:28 BST (UK) »
I found out the date on a separate thread that I forgot I had started. And truth be told I forgot this one was even open. And I do plenty of searching.

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 25 May 18 09:55 BST (UK) »
Yes we all forget things - but when people are giving of their time freely to look things up for you (as had been said many of the things are on freely available sites) it isn't good to "forget" you asked and find the answer elsewhere in the meantime, so their effort was fruitless and their time was wasted.

We all love helping each other on here, and when our own research is going through a slack time we enjoy engaging with others and helping with things they are stuck on. But that isn't a reason to take advantage of peoples good nature.

Family History is a never ending, often complex, time consuming hobby. Like any hobby it has a cost, and to do it properly and reliably you will need to pay for certificates/subscriptions/Wills/visits to Record Offices etc at various points over the years. Not everything is online, so relying solely on that will inevitably result at some stage in following the wrong person.

Looking beyond the obvious is a technique that is used many times in sorting out Families - and to do that often you need to go beyond just keying in one name and seeing what results pop up. Often looking through several pages of a Parish register will give a broader picture of what was going on in a family, and provide clues to solve a particular difficulty.

I see you have numerous ancestors in Essex, for example. So why not take out a subscription (put it on your birthday or Christmas list if money is an issue) to SEAX?  Then you can browse through all Essex parish registers at your leisure? This will enable you to piece together families much more accurately, than just asking for individual look ups of marriages/burials etc.  It also gives you the satisfaction of finding the info, not having it handed to you!

Yes - keep asking on Rootschat for odd items that evade you, or that you do not have access to that someone else might have.  But if you are intend to be a serious researcher, then you need to do serious research, not just a lot of asking others to do it for you!!!!!

Most of all - enjoy.  I think you are doing that already, and I don't want to spoil that. Just want to encourage you and offer some hints.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk