Author Topic: Scotland Ward, Liverpool  (Read 2572 times)

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Scotland Ward, Liverpool
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 03 May 18 17:09 BST (UK) »
In 1871 enumerators were asked to record the number of schedules that they filled in themselves on the page in their enumeration books given over to summery tables. In parts of Manchester the proportion  so completed was 25%; in Christ Church, Spitalfields the proportion was 15%, in Colyton Devon it was 7%; but in some Welsh speaking parishes in Anglesey the majority were filled in by the enumerators. Even within the same sub-district the proportion of the returns completed by the enumerators could vary widely... It is not possible to gauge the number of schedules that had to be filled out for householders by neighbours. "Making Sense of the Census" by Edward Higgs.   

Stan   
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 03 May 18 17:17 BST (UK) »
Nearly always, perhaps. But, to be fair, it may not have been 100% like that - the instructions to enumerators for 1851 states
"If, on inquiry for the Schedule, it is delivered to him not filled up, he must fill it up himself, asking all necessary questions."

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bevo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 03 May 18 17:23 BST (UK) »
The Lancashire Online Parish Clerks site a  has a marriage which may be of interest to you:
 7 Mar 1846 St Paul, Liverpool,
Hugh Williams - Full, Joiner, Bachelor, Virginia Street
Hannah Thomas - Full, Spinster, Virginia Street
    Groom's Father: Owen Williams, Gardener
    Bride's Father: Thomas Jones, Farmer
    Witness: Mary Jones, (X); John Jones
    Married by Licence by: Robt. Davies Minister
    Notes: [Bride signed Hannah Thomas Jones]

www.lan-opc.org.uk/cgi-bin/mkindx.cgi?parish=Liverpool&type=City&community=Liverpool+Central

Offline RobbieJax

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 04 May 18 03:39 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for your input. The more I think about it, I have to agree that it has to be Scotland the country and not the ward. I could see one or two census transcribed in error but there were 4 in a row that all said Scotland.

Also, in following Shaun's lead on the witnesses, I noticed that for the one witness Jean Clark, back then, Jean was almost exclusively a Scottish first name. There was one lead in Scotland that I was following that looked promising but bevo's post just threw a spanner in the works on that one because that definitely does look like that could be my family in 1846