Author Topic: Capt. Richard Russell & Mary Turner at Selby Abbey Church 7 July 1835 any info?  (Read 2089 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Hello

Any information at all please? Census, Masters Certificate / Service information?

Quite a few places surrounding Selby on navigable River Ouse / Selby Canal, some being Brayton, Barlow, Barlby, Wistow, Hemingborough, etc.

Capt. Richard RUSSELL married Mary TURNER at Selby Abbey Church 7th July 1835 by Banns
Witnesses: John Midwood & Hannah Eraser (neither witness seems to be a church official)

Thanks Mark

Online JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Capt. Richard Russell & Mary Turner at Selby Abbey Church 7 July 1835 any info?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 02 May 18 20:50 BST (UK) »
There is a baptism at Selby Abbey 1st April 1838, Elizabeth daughter of Mary and Richard Russell of Selby.

Father's occupation is Mariner.

GRO index shows mother's maiden name is Turner.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Capt. Richard Russell & Mary Turner at Selby Abbey Church 7 July 1835 any info?
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 May 18 20:53 BST (UK) »
There is a baptism at Selby Abbey 1st April 1838, Elizabeth daughter of Mary and Richard Russell of Selby.

Father's occupation is Mariner.

GRO index shows mother's maiden name is Turner.

Hello Jen

Thank you very much.

Mark

Online JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
There is an announcement of the marriage in 'The Hull Packet' 17 July 1835 which states that Richard Russell is the Captain of The Fama, Selby and London trader.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Hello

Thank you Jen (added), your post appeared when I went to submit mine below.

The Russell's baby Elizabeth Russell (born March Qtr 1838) might be buried at Brayton and there is also a Selby District Death Registration age 0 years (June Qtr 1838).

It seems the death of Richard Russell aged 31 years was registered in the December Qtr 1840 in the District of Selby.

That likely explains why Richard Russell & Daughter were not in the Census.

-----------

Hannah eraser, the Wedding witness, never heard of her before. Possibly Hannah E Raser.

Raser is not a popular surname spelling compared with Rasor; Raiser (not many) and Razor (not many).

-----------

We are really working on all the 8 known children, two died, (9 according to the numbering in the Selby Register) of Thomas Turner, (Blacksmith / Whitesmith / Foundryman) and Morland Turner (nee Maudland Hood), alias Maudlin Turner, alias Magdalene Turner (last two when their children were baptised Sculcoates); alias Mordland Turner (born 1774) buried 27 Oct 1830 Age at death 56, at Selby.

This relates to the attempts to link Morland Turner's Father John Hood of Selby, Mariner (buried Selby 1819, no Will), to my George Hood of Selby, who married Sarah Russell at Selby July 1815. George Hood has no Yorkshire Baptism and his 16th May 1815 Marriage Bond & Allegation for a Licence, only call him "George Hood of Selby" and 28 years old. Further brief information about George Hood tagged in the bottom of my posts, below.

-----------

GRUBB
A new development suggests GRUBB families, possibly related to each other (awaiting GRO Certificates) incl. 1861 Death of a GRUBB child aged 1 who carries RAILTON as a middle name, to check parents of the dead child; that the GRUBB family who married into two TURNER descendants of John HOOD of Selby, Mariner AND also a Thomas GRUBB (who descended from Railton GRUBB, now confirmed) married Evelyn Hood Marshall, a descendant of George Hood of Selby.

Suggesting another tenous link between John Hood of Selby, Mariner and my ancestor George Hood of Selby, using GRUBB marriages and lineage, providing the 1861 Death Certificate (awaited) reveals George Railton GRUBB to be a GRUBB - TURNER child at death (died, so missed the 1861 Census).

----------

We have worked out that one Turner child (who descended from John Hood of Selby, Mariner) has married into the Nicholson family and a few years after this marriage, George Hood of Selby has purchased the Nicholson Estate (registered 1838) with a Mortgage from Ann Etty, Spinster, of York (her Will at the Borthwick confirmed she had money loaned out, but Etty not related), George Hood (later Son Wm Hood) holding the property in Trust for James Collinson, (registered 1838 Wakefield Deeds Registry), because the Nicholsons had been forced to sell their Selby property portfolio after 3 cases in the High Court of Chancery from 1830 to 1838.

The John Hood, Mariner - Turner - Nicholson family links (by marriages), suggest a tenuous link between John Hood of Selby, Mariner and George Hood of Selby, because of George Hood buying the Nicholson property and the Nicholsons being related to John Hood, Mariner, by marriages.

George Hood had already got his own personal property and didn't really need to buy the Nicholson properties and take on a mortgage,  late in life, unless George Hood was helping them out, because the Nicholsons were actually family (due to the link I cannot prove between George Hood & John Hood of Selby, Mariner).

-----------

The Hood Sons also helped another family member out (on Sarah Russell's side), when a Thos Gouldsbrough died, leaving his Widow with an unpaid mortgage and the Hoods took ownership of their Copyhold property and also took over the Gouldsbrough's mortgage (in the Manor of Selby, documents, held at Hull).

-----------

Back to this thread, I'll check out if Richard Russell left a Will.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Hello

"Hannah CRASER", the witness at the Richard RUSSELL & Mary TURNER wedding at Selby 7th July 1835, was not Hannah eraser, but Hannah CREASER.

Hannah TURNER, residing Slaithwaite had married George CREASER 20th June 1835 at Almondbury.

Thanks to an Obituary for George CREASER, I found searching for "TURNER of Selby", it says George Creaser married Miss Turner of Selby [Hannah TURNER of Selby].

Claire says Hannah CREASER's age at death in the GRO Index confirms the only Hannah TURNER baptism would be the Daughter of Charles TURNER & Maudland HOOD of Selby. Maudland was the Daughter of John HOOD of Selby, Mariner. A John HOOD was buried at Selby in April 1819, 82 years.

Therefore it also looks pretty certain that Mary TURNER married Richard RUSSELL in 1835 was another Daughter of Charles & Morland TURNER (nee Maudland HOOD, married Selby 1794).

---------

Be interesting if a family link could be made between Richard RUSSELL, Captain and the Sarah RUSSELL who married George HOOD of Selby in 1815? (George HOOD has no surviving provable Baptism record).

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 09 May 18 08:57 BST (UK) »
Hello

Does the Burial Register give any further information regarding this Obituary of baby Mary RUSSELL, I have seen in the newspaper image, please?

Yorkshire Gazette,  13th October 1849
On Friday, the 5th inst.,
Same day, aged 15 months, Mary, youngest daughter of Mrs Russell, of Selby.

In the GRO Index, there is a corresponding death registered in 1849 December Qtr in the District of Selby aged 0 Years.

Interesting, but there does not seem to be a corresponding Birth registration in the District of Selby?

Perhaps a baptism?

Thanks, Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Hello

"Hannah CRASER", the witness at the Richard RUSSELL & Mary TURNER wedding at Selby 7th July 1835, was not Hannah eraser, but Hannah CREASER.

Hannah TURNER, residing Slaithwaite had married George CREASER 20th June 1835 at Almondbury.

Thanks to an Obituary for George CREASER, I found searching for "TURNER of Selby", it says George Creaser married Miss Turner of Selby [Hannah TURNER of Selby].

Claire says Hannah CREASER's age at death in the GRO Index confirms the only Hannah TURNER baptism would be the Daughter of Charles TURNER & Maudland HOOD of Selby. Maudland was the Daughter of John HOOD of Selby, Mariner. A John HOOD was buried at Selby in April 1819, 82 years.

Therefore it also looks pretty certain that Mary TURNER married Richard RUSSELL in 1835 was another Daughter of Charles & Morland TURNER (nee Maudland HOOD, married Selby 1794).

---------

Be interesting if a family link could be made between Richard RUSSELL, Captain and the Sarah RUSSELL who married George HOOD of Selby in 1815? (George HOOD has no surviving provable Baptism record).

Mark

I have now seen Richard Russell's February 1851 Administration (York, UK)

York Prerogative & Exchequer Court
February 1851

Russell under 100'l.
(by Decree) Ainsty
Administration of the goods chattells and oudits
[sic] of Richard Russell late of Selby in the County of York Shipowner, a widower (having &c) deceased, was granted (by Decree of Court) to William Dunhill a Creditor of the said deceased, (Rebecca Russell spinster a minor of the age of election the daughter and only next of kin of the said deceased ire [?ire - three characters not recognisable] special and all others in general of the said deceased having been first lawfully cited and intimated but in no wise appearing) having been first sworn duly to administer.

Ainsty
Russell.
Admon of Richard Russell late of Selby Co: York Shipowner (having &c) decd was granted, See Prog.

Sounds like Rebecca Russell (Daughter and minor) stated she was a minor and her relatives at some point in the process, but those relatives (with the exception of Dunhill) did not appear at the Administration proceedings.

So no help there!

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
There is an announcement of the marriage in 'The Hull Packet' 17 July 1835 which states that Richard Russell is the Captain of The Fama, Selby and London trader.

Richard Russell born Hawick about 1809, his vessel was the Fama.

Buried - Selby, Yorkshire, 1840, aged 30.

Unfortunately no Birth record found so far?

I should like to trace his Birth / Baptism, can anyone else have a try, please?

Added (related information, Rebecca Russell was Richard Russell's Daughter)
Rootschat Re: 1851 How is Rebecca Russell, Niece in the DUNHILL Household?
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=793207.msg6906292#msg6906292

I only have an Earl Russell of Hawick 18th Century to 1830 (newspaper), a Lord John Russell (linked with Minto, near Hawick 1840s) and an Alexander Russell, Hawick (from newspapers 1830s & 1840s).

Also a Rev. Russell of Hawick, apparently Father of John Scott Russell (J. Scott Russell & Co., Ship Builder of the SS Great Eastern). Designer Isambard Kingdom Brunel.

Mark