Author Topic: Robert McLaren of Balquhidder, in Argentina in 1890s, later in County Durham  (Read 2279 times)

Offline Andro93

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Robert McLaren was born in Balquhidder, but emigrated to Argentina in the 1890s. He married there, a woman born in England. They had a daughter born in 1896 and after 1900 they returned to the UK, settling in County Durham, probably in the Sunderland area. Does anyone have any information about them?

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Robert McLaren of Balquhidder, in Argentina in 1890s, later in County Durham
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 May 18 23:34 BST (UK) »
I don't see a birth for a Robert in Balquhidder, lots in neighboring parish areas.  Any idea how old he was when left or have you found him in any of the Census such as the 1881 or 1891? 

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline Andro93

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Robert McLaren of Balquhidder, in Argentina in 1890s, later in County Durham
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 02 May 18 23:42 BST (UK) »
DonM,  many thanks. Robert is on the 1881 Census for Balquhidder, aged 9. As this is from familysearch.org I can not see more of that record. I will find out more at National Archives tomorrow!  Andrew (half-Scottish!)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 02 May 18 23:58 BST (UK) »
Robert McLaren was born in Balquhidder, but emigrated to Argentina in the 1890s. He married there, a woman born in England. They had a daughter born in 1896 and after 1900 they returned to the UK, settling in County Durham, probably in the Sunderland area. Does anyone have any information about them?

Can you tell us how you know/think he was born Balquhidder & who his father was from his DC please with his father's occ. & status.

What info. do you have for the family settling in County Durham?

Have you found them on 1901 or 1911 or in 1939?

A bit of background is always helpful from what you already know which saves researches going over what you have already.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Andro93

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 03 May 18 00:02 BST (UK) »
Rosinish,  I shall go to National Archives tomorrow so will find out more there. I have been given little information so far, but will get more on Friday, hopefully.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 03 May 18 00:30 BST (UK) »
Are you able to provide a rough yr of birth but I'm curious of where Balquhidder derived from?

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 03 May 18 01:18 BST (UK) »
He was born in Callander, his father is William (born Balquhidder) mother is Mary (Callander.
He is with older siblings Archibald, Margaret and Janet.

His full name was Robert Campbell McLaren born 25 APR 1871 Callander (village) son of William a postboy and Mary Beattie.  And from this birth his parents were married in 1856 which looks like the Bridge of ????? but to faded for me to read.  It might even be Brig o' Turk.

You can get all of this plus parents marriage and a whole lot more at  https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk for less than the cost of petro.

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 03 May 18 01:41 BST (UK) »
Don,

Any chance you can post a snip with the place name 'Bridge of' please to see if we can decipher it for sure?

Annie