Author Topic: Certificate  (Read 3925 times)

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Certificate
« Reply #9 on: Friday 04 May 18 13:23 BST (UK) »
Possibly St Anthony of Padua, Trafford Park.
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Mary8

• --
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 04 May 18 14:07 BST (UK) »
Only R.C. church i can think of in the Bradford area of Manchester was St Brigid, Bradford, Roman Catholic

Click here for a full list of all R.C. churches in the Manchester area

Might be worth you search through that list to see if anyone of them pop up in your memory?

Mary :)

Offline Mary8

• --
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 04 May 18 14:09 BST (UK) »
Click Roman Catholic in the box on the left then click on the box marked "FILTER RESULTS".

Mary :)

Offline dorothyl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 04 May 18 17:44 BST (UK) »
Hi groom.
 Sorry. It's my dad's  confirmation  certificate I'm trying to find.
I've sent a message  to  my half sister asking  her. She has picked up my message.  But hasn't  answerd me.

I don't know anything  like  how old  my dad was only  that he was confirmed.  Which has just  given me an idea /thought.  I asked  if someone could  do a photo of my dad the one where  he's  sitting in a chair.  Well  I just this thought. What if that photo  of my dad is when  he was being  confirmed?  It's possible. The girls was dressed  nice also. 
Now fancy me thinking about that photo might be my dad's  confirmation suit.
Thank you again for helping me out again.

Dorothy

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 05 May 18 17:24 BST (UK) »
If I remember correctly, and I was never confirmed so I can't speak personally, confirmations were carried out at around the age of 13-14.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 05 May 18 20:52 BST (UK) »
I was confirmed at 11 before I went to senior school.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline dorothyl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 06 May 18 07:00 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your replys  bumbleb and dawnsh.

I remember I was confirmed  around 11 years  old .just before I  moved to a secondary school.
Which now makes me think. The photo of my dad on his own  must be in his confirmation  outfit.  Because of what I was told by my half sister. My dad was 12 year's old. But he looks more like  he's 14. Unless  his grandparents got him confirmed  late.
Which gives me an idea. I think I will ask  my half sister  about the photo of my dad see what she says. That's if she answers  me.

Anyway thank you again for helping me out with this. Much appreciated. Thank you again.

Dorothy

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 06 May 18 16:49 BST (UK) »
Age of Confirmation in Catholic Church depends on place and era. Could have been any age from 8 or 9 to mid-teens. Practice in Salford Diocese has changed at least once, perhaps more often in 20th century. I don't know what usual age of Confirmation was in Salford early in 20thC. By mid-century it was between 9 and 14. Confirmation was then administered by the Bishop on a special visit to a parish. Small parishes with fewer children had Confirmation ceremonies at approximately 5 year intervals. The Bishop may have held Confirmations in large parishes more frequently.
Traditional age at which children made their First Communion has also varied. The order of the 2 ceremonies also varied. Children of one generation in a diocese may have been Confirmed before their First Communion; another generation in the same diocese may have made their First Communion when very young and Confirmed several years later.
I had a First Communion certificate; I don't recall having a certificate for my Confirmation in Salford Diocese 7 or 8 years later.
Cowban

Offline dorothyl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 06 May 18 18:24 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your information.
It really does help.  From  the photo  of my dad in his suit.  It looks like  he was dressed  for his confirmation.

From what I can make out on his baptism certificate.  It could be possible  he might have been confirmed at the same church  which had 2 names to it .st Bridget and st vincent de pauls. 
His mum was also  baptised  in the same church  in 1891.

I've asked my half sister 2 different  questions  but she hasn't  answerd  any of them. Only  one of 3. Which was the church my dad was baptised in.  I asked her about the photo of my dad in his suit. Would it be his confirmation suit  and what age was he.as I know  he was either 12 / 14 years old.

She hasn't replied to my message. But has seen it.

Thank you again for helping me with everything. I really do appreciate everyone's help.
Thank you again.

Dorothy