Author Topic: Burial place  (Read 4103 times)

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
Re: Burial place
« Reply #9 on: Friday 04 May 18 19:42 BST (UK) »
Starting to think .. it would be at the Church he was Verger at ... :)

I think its very unlikely that there's a burial ground actually at St Gabriels. The church was only built in the late 1890's (see the history I linked to earlier) and space would have been rather restricted. As with most burials in Newcastle at this time I think its more likely have been in one of the large civic cemeteries. Heaton Cemetery was just up the road from where he was living, so my money's on that.

Added: now I've said all that I expect the death announcement will prove me completely wrong  :-X

Thank you really appreciate your help

xin

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 05 May 18 10:55 BST (UK) »
Trust Jen to be on the money! ;D ;D ;D...

Evening Chronicle - Monday, 31 March 1902:

BOWEY.- 49 Spencer Street, Heaton, on 29th inst., aged 60 years, Matthew Wardle, beloved husband of Elizabeth Bowey, formerly of H.M. Customs, and late verger of St Gabriel's Church.  To be interred at Heaton Cemetery on Tuesday, April 1st.  Service at St Gabriel's Church at 2 p.m.  All friends kindly invited.

Memoriam notice:
Evening Chronicle - Saturday, March 28, 1903
'In loving memory of Matthew Wardle, beloved husband of Elizabeth A. Bowey, who died March 29, 1902; late of H.M. Custom's; also late Verger of St. Gabriel's Church, Heaton.  Sleep on dear husband and take thy rest, For God had called when he thought best; The loss is great that we sustain, But in heaven we hope to meet again.- Ever remembered by his loving wife and family.'

Memoriam notice:
Evening Chronicle - Tuesday, March 29 1904
'In loving memory of Matthew Wardle, beloved husband of Elizabeth A. Bowey, who died March 29, 1902.  Ever remembered by his loving wife.'

Unfortunately, that one microfilm for the burial at Heaton is at present missing at Newcastle library.  However, on the microfilm of indexes is recorded that Matthew is in grave number 6375.

Best Wishes :)

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 05 May 18 10:56 BST (UK) »
I knew you'd do us proud  ;D

Heaton is a big cemetery. In order to find the grave I think you'd need to know the section number which will be in the burial register  :-\
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 05 May 18 11:50 BST (UK) »
Wonderful   absolutely wonderful   

fillin up

thank you

overwhelmed xin

xxxxxxxx

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 05 May 18 11:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Jen

I am happy to have been able to help. :)

The librarian says he is going to ask a more senior librarian next week about why this microfilm is missing.  I think I will be able to call in at some point to ask.  Hopefully, it will resurface.

If not there is always the option of Tyne and Wear Archives.  However, I am not exactly sure as yet when I could fit this look up in for Xinia due to my work and family commitments. 

I would be willing to try if no one else comes forward - only I am unable to commit to a definite date as yet.

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 05 May 18 11:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Xinia,

I just saw your notice after I posted my last one. 

I am so glad to hear that you are pleased with the look ups. :)

As I say, I can't commit at the moment to a set date to go to Tyne and Wear Archives due to commitments.  However, if no one beats me to it I will fit this look up in at some point when I can if the microfilm does not resurface at Newcastle library.

Best Wishes :)

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 05 May 18 12:03 BST (UK) »
Your search has made a

Gathering of the Clans well worth while    ----- it was worthwhile already --- of course

But for them all to be able to go to their GG's spot and see where he was buried, will make them all feel good.

When your doing this ---- and you do find a burial place of a loved one, whether it has a headstone or marker or not.. just to be there - has a special feeling.

.xxxxx   xin

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 05 May 18 12:06 BST (UK) »
https://www.newcastle.gov.uk/communities-and-neighbourhoods/births-deaths-and-marriages/deaths-funerals-and-cremations/cemeteries-in-newcastle

Scroll down to Cemetery Records. There is an email address you can contact. Thanks to RTL you are now able them full details of the exact place and date of the burial and the grave number. They may well be able to give you the section number from the information you give them.

It's a huge cemetery - you can 'drive' through it on Google streetview (hope this link works)
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01m0q/
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 05 May 18 13:47 BST (UK) »
Hang fire!

I have just had another idea!

Xinia, could you check the Evening Chronicle link that Jen kindly supplied?  Do you think that the Elizabeth Bowey mentioned in 1906 could be Matthew's wife?  She is recorded as 66 at death.

If so I could try to check for another possible microfilm next week if I can make the library in time after work.  It is possible that if Matthew's grave is a purchased one they are likely to be in the same grave.  Hopefully, if this is Elizabeth her grave number may be the same but there may be another microfilm at library which may also provide section. :)