Author Topic: What happened to Annie Plant (born 1900)?  (Read 837 times)

Offline Aulus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The black sheep: Florence Stevenson née Hampson
    • View Profile
What happened to Annie Plant (born 1900)?
« on: Thursday 03 May 18 22:41 BST (UK) »
I am having another look at some of my grandma's cousins, now that more records have become available.

But I'm still stuck on Annie Plant, born 11 Sep 1900 in Darwen to David Plant (b. 25/4/1871, Macclesfield, d. July 1932, Blackburn) and Ellen Holden (b. 16/7/1868, Darwen, d. [unknown]).

In 1901 Annie is at 4 Queen Street, Darwen, and in 1911 she is at 76 Ribble Road Blackpool, in both years with her mother in the household of her aunt Ann and her husband Henry Myers Briggs.  (Many of my Holdens/Plants moved from Darwen to Blackpool in the early years of the 20th century.)

But that's where I lose Annie Plant.  I can't see a marriage or a death.  There is, however, a Thomas and Annie Blizzard or Blezzard living at 8 Foxhall Road, Blackpool in 1939.  Thomas is born 28/10/1892; this Annie is born the same day as my Annie: 11 Sep 1900. It's very tempting to think that my Annie Plant married Thomas Bl[i/e]zzard, but I can't see any trace of a marriage: I can't even see a marriage of a Thomas something-like-Blizzard and an Ann between 1900 and 1939.

So, can any kind Rootschatter see what might have happened to my Annie Plant and/or where Thomas and Annie Blizzard came from and what happened to them?

I think the youngest of the people named would be 118 years old now, so hope it is okay to discuss them.
Lancashire: Stevenson, Wild, Holden, Jepson
Worcs/Staffs: Steventon, Smith
East London & Suffolk: Guest, Scrutton
East London: Palfreman (prev Tyneside), Bissell, Collis, Dearlove, Ettridge
Herts: Camac, Collis, Mason, Dorrington, Siggens
Marylebone & Sussex: Cole
London & Huntingdonshire: Freeman
Bowland: Marsden, Noble
Shropshire: Guest

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: What happened to Annie Plant (born 1900)?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 03 May 18 23:03 BST (UK) »
Could surname be Bleazard - same birthdate

England Births and Christenings
Name    Thomas Bleazard
Residence Place    Habergham-Eaves, Lancashire, England
Gender    Male
Christening Date    20 Nov 1892
Christening Place    Habergham-Eaves, Lancashire, England
Birth Date    28 Oct 1892
Father's Name    Henry Bleazard
Mother's Name    Elizabeth
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 03 May 18 23:09 BST (UK) »
Possible death

Thomas Blezard aged 62 (about 1893) March 1955 Blackpool 10b 593

Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 May 18 23:16 BST (UK) »
Annie Blezard age 71
Birth Date:    11 Sep 1900
Mar 1972 Sheffield   2d 875

Maiden names are shown on death certs for that period so you could apply for a copy but stipulate you only want it if her maiden name was Plant

Offline Aulus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 04 May 18 00:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks Carole.

That all looks very likely. Unfortunately maiden name isn't a checking point on the GRO website, but I could always try including it with the surname and hope I get a sympathetic person at the GRO.

I'm beginning to think they never actually married, but merely lived as man & wife, so that death certificate could be the only thing to identify Annie Blezard and my Annie Plant.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 04 May 18 00:43 BST (UK) »
I can't find any likely Bleazard/Blezard/Plant births

I notice her birth was registered as Ann and that 1972 death has 2 entries - one as Anne and the other as Annie

Offline Aulus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 29 May 18 15:50 BST (UK) »
Just to update this.

The GRO have ignored my stipulating maiden name Plant on the order for that death certificate (I'll them to complain once I've added a postem to FreeBMD).

The Anne or Annie Blezard who died in Sheffield in 1972 has maiden name Lowe.  She was indeed married to a Thomas Blezard (from FreeBMD, I see they married in Sheffied Q4 1921).

The informant on the death certificate is Dorothy Lowe Hadfield, who describes herself as a cousin, so it seems unlikely that it's a matter of the informant not actually knowing the deceased's maiden name. I also can't see an Ann Plant marriage to a Lowe.

But things aren't made any clearer by there not being a Thomas and Ann(ie) Blezard on the 1939 Register in Sheffield.

Thomas Blezard is on the electoral roll (without Annie) at 8 Foxhall Rd in 1921 then reappears at the same address in 1929 with Annie Blezard.  So, they must have started to (pretend to) be married between 1921 and 1929, which would fit with the Sheffield marriage.  Although we know that's not my Annie Plant.

It's all a bit confusing!

I also came across a 1929 newspaper report of the Thomas Blezard of Foxhall Road, Blackpool fracturing his skull, when he ran into a lamp post outside Victoria Hospital, but that doesn't help at all.

I'm beginning to think that the Blackpool Thomas & Annie Blezard may be the Sheffield ones, so unrelated to my Annie Plant, and the two Annies having the same date of birth is just coincidence.  Which must mean something else happened to my Annie Plant, so I think I'm back to square one with her.