Author Topic: Signature on marriage certificate?  (Read 3624 times)

Offline jen56johns

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Signature on marriage certificate?
« on: Friday 04 May 18 10:54 BST (UK) »
Can I have your opinion on this marriage certificate please? I thought the bride and groom were supposed to sign the marriage certificate (if they could write) or otherwise use an X, but this marriage certificate from 1913 appears to have the same handwriting all through it.  What do you think?
Johns - Cornwall
McNerney - Manchester
Speakman - Manchester
Warman - Faringdon
Utting - Norfolk

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Signature on marriage certificate?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 May 18 11:40 BST (UK) »
If you compare the writing it all looks pretty much the same, I don't think you can look at the original from a register office marriage cert, if it was a church perhaps you could

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 04 May 18 12:00 BST (UK) »
Was this certificate purchased from the GRO? These are filled out by the one person.

If you want to see the original signatures you can purchase the same certificate from the local register office. The reference numbers are not the same as for the GRO so you can locate the event from somewhere like this:
https://www.ukbmd.org.uk/copy_certificates
and order the certificate from the local register office using these reference numbers.

I think you can also contact the local register office and tell them the date of marriage and names and they will locate the marriage and send you the certificate. I think the cost is similar to that of GRO certificates.

Offline jen56johns

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 04 May 18 12:38 BST (UK) »
Was this certificate purchased from the GRO? These are filled out by the one person.

If you want to see the original signatures you can purchase the same certificate from the local register office. The reference numbers are not the same as for the GRO so you can locate the event from somewhere like this:
https://www.ukbmd.org.uk/copy_certificates
and order the certificate from the local register office using these reference numbers.

I think you can also contact the local register office and tell them the date of marriage and names and they will locate the marriage and send you the certificate. I think the cost is similar to that of GRO certificates.

Hi Ruskie,

Yes, the certificate was purchased from GRO but I had no idea that they were filled out by one person.  The marriage was registered in Durham so I’ve ordered the certificate from the Durham Records Office and hopefully that will have their signatures.

I’m chasing this because Thomas went to the US in the early 1920s and never returned and I can’t find any trace of him after he landed at Ellis Island.  I’ve found a record of someone who could match and it has his signature so I wanted to compare.  Probably a red herring, but after all these years of looking I need to pursue the lead.

Thanks for your help!
Johns - Cornwall
McNerney - Manchester
Speakman - Manchester
Warman - Faringdon
Utting - Norfolk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 04 May 18 12:45 BST (UK) »
Good luck! I hope it IS the same man.  :)

Offline AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 04 May 18 13:32 BST (UK) »
Yes, the certificate was purchased from GRO but I had no idea that they were filled out by one person.  The marriage was registered in Durham so I’ve ordered the certificate from the Durham Records Office and hopefully that will have their signatures.

GRO hold copies of register entries, not originals, which were copied out and submitted each quarter by the local registration offices. So you will not see original signatures of your ancestors/relatives.

A certificate is a certified copy of an entry, so even ordering that from the local office doesn't mean you will get to see the signatures either - most likely, the certificate will be handwritten by one of the staff, copying the information from the register entry.

You need to make sure they know it is the signatures you are interested in - they might consider photocopying the original entry to create the certificate (but is is difficult, and many registers are too fragile) or an alternative that is often used is for them to write out a certificate in the normal way, and then supply a tracing of the original signatures with it.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 04 May 18 13:38 BST (UK) »
Apologies Jen56johns - it seems I may have led you up the garden path. :-[

Offline jen56johns

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 17 May 18 00:39 BST (UK) »
Ruskie, you weren’t on the wrong track at all! I got the certificate from Durham and it has the original signatures on it. I can tell because the bride and the two witnesses all had the same surname Henning and the H is different in each signature.

Unfortunately, the signature doesn’t match the US record I found for Thomas Robinson, but it’s nice to have his original signature.  Thanks for your help.
Johns - Cornwall
McNerney - Manchester
Speakman - Manchester
Warman - Faringdon
Utting - Norfolk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 17 May 18 00:45 BST (UK) »
Phew, I'm glad you were able to see the original signatures.  :-[

Even though not the man you were looking for at least you have confirmation and can cross him off your list.

Have you asked for help on rootschat (possibly the American board) to look for your Thomas?  :-\