Author Topic: Names Of Doctors On Medical Card  (Read 1685 times)

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Names Of Doctors On Medical Card
« Reply #9 on: Friday 04 May 18 22:29 BST (UK) »
The 1959 medical register is on Ancestry.
There were 3 drs named Bower in Birmingham. A husband and wife, and one other.  I think your guy is probably Brian Radnor Bower as he was M.R.C.P. Membe rof the Royal College of Physicians
Only one Hubble (although he is still registered with his Derby address as he had only just gone to Birmingham according to that wiki article)

Working on the others....

Later for the one second to bottom, I’ve been through Adam, Adams, and STO.....    nothing
For the second to top, it’s not U.....

Offline crowsfeet

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 05 May 18 00:02 BST (UK) »
I wondered if the second to top name was a shortened version of Urquhart as there seems to be an apostrophe in it

Regards Crowsfeet
cole, crow, taylor, ricketts, trustrum, pigott, kaye, bedford, blackwell, hill, archer, harris, williscroft, sanders, baggot, bayliss, isles, eaton, tooth, day, english, cherry, bashford, hubbard, leslie, cameron, whiteford keough, galvin, gray, gilchrist, davidson, currie, english, shuker, morgan, buchanan, parker, beard, pratt, orme, aylett, lawrence, penberthy, martin, bryant, nicholls.

Offline DrDude45

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Great minds... go unappreciated.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 05 May 18 00:15 BST (UK) »
Impressive list of professors, doctors and researchers. Here's an archived article that mentions several of them from the Paediatric Research Society:

https://web.archive.org/web/20120909013209/www.prs.nhs.uk/history.aspx

Forty years of the Paediatric Research
Society in the United Kingdom
M Cosgrove
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .  . . . . . . . . . . . . .
 An organisation which fosters and encourages work by
young researchers

The Paediatric Research Society (PRS) in the United Kingdom is an organisation which fosters and encourages the completion and presentation of work by young researchers in any area of paediatrics and child health. Meetings are held twice each year, in spring and autumn, hosted by members around the UK. On 15–16 March 2002 the spring meeting of the PRS was held in Brighton, hosted by Neil Aiton. With a wonderful sense of occasion, the second day of the meeting coincided exactly with the 40th anniversary of the first meeting of the society, held at the Birmingham Children’s Hospital. Not wishing to miss any opportunity for a celebration, the society held a special anniversary meeting at which Professor Victor Dubowitz (not quite a founder member, but a key figure in the infancy of the society and an ex-Honorary Secretary) gave the guest lecture on his recollections of the early days, and also made some thought provoking suggestions for current members on how the PRS should continue to evolve.
   To mark this anniversary the editorial board of Archives of Disease in Childhood has kindly granted the indulgence of a short piece on the history of the PRS. For information on the founding of the PRS
I am grateful to the late Brian Bower, and also to successive Honorary Secretaries of the society since 1983 for preserving

the speech notes from Brian’s after dinner speech on the occasion of the 21st anniversary meeting, again held in Birmingham. Brian recalled:
   “It was suggested that I tell you about the beginnings of the PRS—the how and why of its birth. I must start earlier than the perinatal period, at its conception. Conception is an intimate, private affair and so it was with the PRS—in fact the details are unknown, although the approximate timing is. It was in the winter of 1960–1961 and it was in Australia. And it was Sir Douglas Hubble, then Professor of Paediatrics in the University of Birmingham, who conceived the idea. He was on a lecture tour of Australasia and, as a lecturer in his department here in Birmingham, I received a letter from him one day telling me that I should consider forming a society of young research workers in paediatrics in the UK to encourage paediatric research in this country.
   So in 1961 I made preliminary enquiries from those in a similar position to myself at the time, and 10 of us met at Paddington Green Children’s Hospital on 27 October 196l to plan the formation of the PRS. Twelve were invited: Brian Bower, Ivo Carré, Patrick Cox, John Davis, Jim Farquhar, Connie

Primary hyperlipaemia                                                 June Lloyd

Idiopathic hyperlipaemia - a case report                          Ivo Carre

Convulsions associated with television viewing              Brian Bower

Aetiology of intussusception                                     George Knox
    Thalidomide and fetal abnormalities                           Dick Smithells

Preliminary observations and speculations about the assessment of maturity of neonates
                                                                              Kenneth Holt

Pyridoxine and infanite spasms, with particular reference to a case of lecuine sensitive hypoglycaemia
                                                                              Brian Bower

The effect of an unsaturated fat diet in diabetic children
                                                                               June Lloyd

Figure 1 Programme of the first meeting of the Paediatric Research Society, Birmingham Children’s Hospital, Friday, 16 March and Saturday, 17 March 1962.

Forsyth, Kenneth Holt, Tom Ingram, George Knox, June Lloyd, Tom Oppé, and Dick Smithells. You can regard those 12 as the originals but we invited a few more obvious potential members (Gavin Arneil, John Black, Ross Mitchell, and Otto Wolff) to the first scientific meeting, which took place in Birmingham, at the Institute of Child Health, on 16 March 1962.
I just like to do photo restores.

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 05 May 18 00:24 BST (UK) »
I wondered about Urquhart, but none in Birmingham (or Warwickshire)