Author Topic: Hugh Coyne (1801-1850) family of Wolverhampton, Staffordshire--male descent?  (Read 958 times)

Offline Cecilia Fabos-Becker

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
My husband's great-grandmother, Maryann Coyne (1835/6-1921) was the oldest of three sisters: Maryann, Harriet and Ellen.  Maryann and Harriet emigrated to the U.S. after the U.S. Civil War (between 1866-1869).  Maryann married first a Longford, who took her to Northamptonshire and died (no children).  She then married Michael McInerney.  Harriet married John Joyce and emigrated; Ellen married Patrick Cunniff, and some of her children emigrated (arrived and settled in New Jersey a generation later).  We don't know that any of the sons emigrated.  Hugh Coyne "Sr." was married twice: the surnames of both women are unknown as is the first name of the first wife.  He had twin sons by his first marriage: Denis and James b. 1825/6.  His other sons by his second marriage to Mary or Mary Cecilia ___ were: Hugh "Jr.," who died in 1851, no known children; Michael who was twin to Maryann, b. 1835/6,  and John born 1837 who is possibly the one who died in Wolverhampton, Q4, 1882.  This is from the 1841 and 1851 census and marriage records, etc. from Wolverhampton.  All of the children, except for the youngest daughters, Harriet and Ellen, were born in Ireland.  Based on additional records of probable brothers to Hugh, they were from County Mayo.  The tithe applotments of the 1820's show that this group of names only occurred in one area at that time (not saying that they were always there), Burrishoole Civil Parish.  Later, part of the family that remained in Ireland appears to have gone to near Ballyhaunis, Annagh Civil Parish, near the line of counties Mayo, Galway and Roscommon, as per Griffith's valuations: James is a VERY rare Coyne name and only occurred in that one place in Ireland in the 1850's; it's more common in England. Hugh Coyne Sr. (1801-1850) had an older brother named James, and the Wolverhampton-Wednesbury branch of the family of at least four brothers: James, Hugh, Richard and John, who all arrived in England the 1830's, used this name for childern. Hugh's son, Denis Coyne, married Alice Grant, Q3, 1852 in Wolverhampton.  Michael Coyne married Catherine Boyle, Q2, 1856, in Wolverhampton.  There are too many John Coyne's to be sure of which one was the son of Hugh Coyne in determining his marriage.  My husband is looking for male cousins of this line who still have the Coyne surname for a DNA project to sort out a few Coyne lines and to demonstrate to the readers of our AmeriCeltic.net newsletter in California how a combination of DNA testing and traditional family history research for documents of the family can be used to trace family history back to its original home(s) in a country of origin, and determine cousins on particular lines.  We are willing to pay for a DNA test that includes Y-DNA for a known male descendant of Hugh Coyne "Sr." (1801), who still bears the surname Coyne and who is a descendant of a brother of my husband's great-grandmother Maryann for this project.  Ideally he'd descend from one of the full brothers of Maryann who were known to have married: Michael or John, but a descendant of a half-brother, Denis or James, would be also helpful though the centimorgans match is cut in about half with that descendant.  We would of course also love to learn more about the marriages and descendants of Maryann's brothers and her sister Ellen, if anyone is willing to share their documented information.  One clue to help people in Staffordshire determine if their Michael or John Coyne ancestors are related to Maryann and Harriet is, did their ancestors know of two sisters who went to the U.S. in the 1860's and settled in Pennsylvania, particularly in Northumberland County in the coal mining areas of Shamokin, Locust Gap or Mt. Carmel?  Harriet and her descendants mostly stayed in this area.  Maryann buried her husband and three children there and she and the surviving children went to Minnesota, in 1883, with a friend of her only surviving son, Joseph Patrick McInerney.   

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
Re: Hugh Coyne (1801-1850) family of Wolverhampton, Staffordshire--male descent?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 May 18 16:39 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat and I hope you have descendants find you who can help you with this query.

Now from what I can see Hugh snr didnt die 1850.

Death Reg GRO Index;
COYNE, HUGH, age 8*******
GRO Reference: 1850  M Quarter in WOLVERHAMPTON & SEISDON  Volume 17  Page 246

Ages arent exact 1841 Census;
Hugh Coyne   40
Mary Coyne   30
Donnis Coyne   15
Hugh Coyne   10
James Coyne   15
Michel Coyne   5
John Coyne   4
Mary Coyne   5
Harriet     1

BURIAL;
01 Oct 1851, Merridale Cemetary, Wolverhampton, Staffordshire
HUGH Coyne age 56**
Abode Faulkland Street
Notes;
Parish: St. Mary. Occupation: Pauper. Grave: 1066.
Dropsy. Reg. No.: G1/00680

Death Reg GRO Index;
COINE, HUGH, age 56****
Reference: 1851  S Quarter in WOLVERHAMPTON  Volume 17  Page 263

Although I cant find him 1851 Census where he should appear.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hugh Coyne (1801-1850) family of Wolverhampton, Staffordshire--male descent?
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 May 18 17:07 BST (UK) »
Who is the HUGHES Coin 55 in 1851 Wolverhampton HO107/2019/212/11?
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 05 May 18 17:20 BST (UK) »
COYNE, HARRIET, Mothers mn MCNICKLASS*****
GRO Reference: 1840  S Quarter in WOLVERHAMPTON AND SEISDON  Volume 17  Page 333

COINE, ELLEN, Mothers mn   MCNICKLASS*****
GRO Reference: 1845  S Quarter in WOLVERHAMPTON AND SEISDON  Volume 17  Page 34

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 05 May 18 17:26 BST (UK) »
Well done Keyboard86 ;D

Hughes Caris, 55
Mary Caris, 36
Michael Caris, 15
James Caris, 13
Harriot Caris, 10
Ellen Caris, 6
Hance Caris, 7 mths
Patrick Malarky   63
Mary Malarky   62
John Malarky   20

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 05 May 18 17:34 BST (UK) »
Burial Merridale Cemetery;
19 Jun 1851
HONOR Coyne age 1
Parish: St. Mary. Pauper child. Grave: 9414b.
Measles. Reg. No.: G1/00463
(FreeREG)

Image on 1851 Census for Hance is Honor

COIN, ANORA, Mothers mn   MCNICHOLAS
GRO Reference: 1850  S Quarter in WOLVERHAMPTON & SEISDON  Volume 17  Page 39

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 05 May 18 17:38 BST (UK) »
Off to bed for me thanks for you help Keyboard86.

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 05 May 18 19:08 BST (UK) »
Hi all, from my notes Maryann Coyne married a "Longford" moved to Northamptonshire then married a Michael Mcinerney cannot locate.
Harriet married March qtr 1859 Wolverhampton John Joyce
Ellen married 1863 Wolverhampton Patrick Cunniffe.
All taken from info supplied.
Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Cecilia Fabos-Becker

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 05 May 18 22:07 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for your help.  I knew that one of the  two Hugh's who died in 1850 or 1851 had to be the son and other the father from what I could access from my location, on-line but guessed wrong as to which year was for which.  I didn't find the peculiar typed transcription for Coyne as Caris (probably scribbled as Coine--having seen this type of scrawl before in U.S. census records, where a's and o's are alike and r's and n's ditto, and e's can be confused for "s's". Oddly I'd looked for spellings as "Coine, Coin and Cain" on the census records but it didn't occur to me at that time to look for n transcribed as r, in addition to an a for an o. What I have found for Maryann Coyne was she was on the 1851 census as "Mary Coyne" a servant to an innkeeper and his family, John Bickley of the Roebuck Inn at Upper Penn civil district of Wolverhampton.  By 1861, when her oldest son John was born she was married to Michael McInerney and they had been married in England.  There is only one marriage record thus far found that might be hers:  for a Mary Ann Langford to a Michael McInerney and it was Q1, in Daventry, Northamptonshire, England.  McInerney wasn't in Wolverhampton on any other records, but there was a Langford family and some went from Wolverhampton to Northhamptonshire and two died by 1860.  A John Thomas Langford/Longford died in Oundle in Northamptonshire, Q1, 1857.  A Thomas Langford died in Wolverhampton, Q4, 1857.  A Thomas Langford was married to an unknown person by the registry entry I found, in Q2, 1857.  Was this the same Thomas Langford who died in Q4 of that year?  I don't know.   My best guess is Maryann (she went most often by Maryann in the U.S.--as per later marriage and other records) was married briefly before she married, Michael McInerney, the only husband by whom she had children.  The couple then went northward, but what year, I do not know. I know that they emigrated, separately, arriving on ships that went  from Liverpool to New York City and when she arrived he already had a position, with the help of the Ancient Order of Hibernians (AOH) in Northumberland County, PA.  He had to work for a few months in the U.S. to earn passage for her and their children.  When she arrived, they did not stay in New York.  She, and her two oldest sons arrived in January, 1866 and by October, 1866, her oldest daughter by Michael McInerney, Harriet, was born in what became Locust Gap and baptized at St. Edward's Church in Shamokin (baptismal record), Northumberland County, PA.  Maryann lost an infant son, Michael, soon after arrival in New York, born premature, probably from the stress of the voyage.  Michael McInerney was not originally a miner--he and his father and brothers had been farmers. Maryann told her children that they had learned that mining paid well and it was possible to save up and buy a farm after spending a few years in the coal mines in Pennsylvania.  The area where he was a miner was regarded as generally better for workers because the AOH was strong and aggressive there (this was one of the headquarters towns of the "Molly Maguires") and the mines had multiple owners competing for workers, unlike some other areas where one mining company controlled all the mines, the town stores, etc..  Regarding other family deaths, here's what I've found that might be family members: Michael Coyne aged 35 (born about 1835/6) died Q1, 1871, in Wolverhampton; James Coyne, aged 58 (born about 1826) died Q4, Stafford in Staffordshire; John Coyne aged 37 (born about 1835/6) died Q4, 1882 in Wolverhampton.  It looks like Denis Coyne, the twin brother of James went to Durham--to mine coal, by 1861. In 1851, he was a lodger at 54 Barry Street South, St. Peter Parish in Wolverhampton, working as a common laborer.  Then, Dennis Coyne, aged 48 (born about 1825/6) died Q3, 1872 in the Aukland District of Durham, England.  For marriages I have two possibilities for John Coyne (maybe his first wife died in childbirth?--who knows?) to Bridget Conroy, Q4, 1860, in Wolverhampton, and then to Mary Finnety, Q2, 1862 in Wolverhampton.  I have a Michael Coyne married to Margaret Magowan, Q2, 1861, Wolverhampton. I'm guessing at the wives' names since they were listed separately in the  on-line index, but the same page of the same volume, same quarter and year.   There is also a possibility that the widow of Hugh Coyne remarried? I have found a record of a Mary Coyne who married Q2, 1853 in Wolverhampton to possibly a John Belton (same vol, page, quarter and year).  The identity of the second wife of Hugh Coyne as a McNichols/McNicholas definitely helps place the family in Ireland.  Again thank you very much for your help. If this reply allows people to find more on this family, I'll be doubly grateful. We've been trying to find my husband's Coyne cousins for several years now.