Author Topic: A great find today  (Read 2109 times)

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
A great find today
« on: Saturday 05 May 18 01:07 BST (UK) »
It's a good idea to periodically do a Google search on the names of ancestors.  You never know what you might find that has recently been put online.  Today I typed in Joshua Mitchell, my great great great grandfather and  -  WOW  -  a whole page of photos of the Mitchell farm at Oak Hill, Litchfield, Maine and numerous Mitchell descendants!  [alas, many of the photos have broken links].   Joshua Mitchell built the house starting in 1816 [it's still standing] and my great great grandmother was born there in that same year.  The farm passed to her youngest brother, George Mitchell and, I believe, still belongs to a Mitchell descendant.

http://www.historicalsocietyoflitchfieldmaine.org/MitchellFarm.htm

This is Joshua:
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline DrDude45

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Great minds... go unappreciated.
    • View Profile
Re: A great find today
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 May 18 01:21 BST (UK) »
Great find indeed. Always nice to revisit people and events and learn from the past.

Cleaned that pic for you a bit.
I just like to do photo restores.

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 May 18 20:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks for removing the ugly speckles from old Joshua!

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 05 May 18 20:54 BST (UK) »
Erato, I totally agree with your original comment, but don't just rely on Google. It is essential to use more than one search engine, in fact I would recommend using as many as you can find. They all work in different ways and prioritise things differently.

Nearly three years ago when I started my research I put all the details that I already had on my own website. 3 months later I was contacted by a first cousin who I didn't know anything about. She had found me by searching for the name  of my grandmother, but the amazing thing was she was able to convince me that she was not my grandmother but actually my great grandmother. My grandmother had lead a very interesting life.

A year later the grandson of my grandmother's first husband, who remarried also found my research on my own website. Both of these contacts live in Australia and we are now very close friends.  We have subsequently found out far more about our ancestors than they would have ever thought possible.

Martin

Online Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 05 May 18 21:10 BST (UK) »
"but don't just rely on Google"

Absolutely agreed.  Finding the Mitchell photos has sent me into a new flurry of searches.  So far, no other great finds but who knows .....

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 05 May 18 23:31 BST (UK) »
Wow great find.....yes I think that's a great tip for finding extra info. Maybe I jight get lucky if I keep trying.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 06 May 18 00:51 BST (UK) »
Great find for you Erato & I agree, always good to do the odd search here & there randomly as there's plenty being added online by the day.

Just to add, I've found many different things (not necessarily my own family) but for others too with different search 'terms'!

I've seen me typing in something with not much result then doing the same search with different wording/places or whatever & finding a whole lot more!

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 06 May 18 01:01 BST (UK) »
That's a great find indeed, Erato.
I do the same, periodically entering ancestors into Google. I find that you get different results with and without inverted commas.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline joboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 06 May 18 09:54 BST (UK) »
Well done Erato.....   you deserve a break like that with all the help and assistance that you give to others ........ it's pleasing to know indeed.
Joe
Gill UK and Australia
Bell UK and Australia
Harding(e) Australia
Finch UK and Australia

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.