Author Topic: Placename in Wales  (Read 1769 times)

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Re: Placename in Wales
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 06 May 18 07:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Speedwell,

Your not the only person with spelling or pronouncing Welsh place names, as kids in the 1950's, we went to Llandudo on holidays and in Yorkshire we always pronounced it Lan(Land)-dud-no, and years later I worked with a man  originally a hill framers son, from a farming community in Snowdonia, North Wales, a real hardcore Welshman who later acquired an added part Yorkshire twang. I use to say ! we're off to Landudno for the weekend, he'd say its "Llandudno" sounding to us in Yorkshire as sounding like "Th-land-dud-no" and of recent watching Dew Pritchard 'Salvage hunters' TV programme saying or pronouncing it - sound like as "Clan-dud-no"

Now a days I just say "Dudno" -Ho! Heck  :-[ :-[ :-[

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch or to us is "Goki - gor"  ;D ;D ;D

Dobby
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Placename in Wales
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 06 May 18 08:34 BST (UK) »
I live in the area of Wales which was ruled by Brychan Brycheiniog in the fifth century, but so far, no evidence has been found as to the site of his court.  However, the Welsh are very literal about place names, so they usually describe what's there.  The village up the hill from me has an interesting moated site, surrounded by what was once a deep ditch.  The interpretation claims it was a 14th century farm settlement.  But considering that the name of the village is Bronllys (llys being the Welsh name given to a royal court) I wouldn't mind betting this is where  King Brychan had his court, nicely placed well away from the busy and dangerous river crossing in the valley, comfortably placed with a hill fort behind him, and forts facing him on the top of every hill on the other side of the valley.  I won't ever be able to prove it, of course, but one day in the future, when someone suddenly realises that  they have been ignoring the obvious,  it would be nice to know that I posted my theory here first!   ;D
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk