Author Topic: Convict to Western Autralia from Warwickshire  (Read 1845 times)

Offline Yonks Ago

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Convict to Western Australia from Warwickshire
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 05 May 18 11:29 BST (UK) »
Solidrock,
Thats ok..very little is on his Trial records..other than his name where he was from and that his next of kin was his brother.Thomas worked for my Grandparents here in Australia and my Mother grew up knowing him she was nine years old when he died. I just keep coming back to him in the hope to find his family for him, it would be great to be able to let them know where he is buried and to be able to pass on a photo of him.
Yonks
Kilgallon Langdon Nicol Bolger Smith Carlisle Thomas Delahide Blackman Harley Amphlett Scarbourgh Murrish Oats Tonkin Aveyard Armitage Child Fox Bland Gomersal Mountain Gelder Harrison Armstrong Laws Steel Main Lambert Law Laws Christie Kirk Bell Black Amphlett Barclay Harley Dewar Rodger Fortune McCann Nealis Sutherland Rumgay

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Convict to Western Autralia from Warwickshire
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 05 May 18 14:09 BST (UK) »
I am not seeing very many people named John Evans, born 1827-1847 who are recorded in the censuses as cotton spinners. These are the ones I've found:

John Evans, born North Wales circa 1827 (20 Scott Street Manchester in 1871)
John Evans, born Saddleworth circa 1829 (Saddleworth 1861 and 1871)
John Evans, born Llanidloes, Montgomeryshire circa 1832 (Builth 1881)
John Evans, born "Duckenfield" Cheshire circa 1838-1840 (Portland prison 1871, Wakefield prison 1891)
John D Evans , born Manchester circa 1844 (Salford 1861)
John Evans, Born Ireland circa 1834 (15 Buxton Street, Chorlton in 1861)

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Yonks Ago

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 05 May 18 14:19 BST (UK) »
No one is reading what my quest is......WHERE ELSE..can I look
..I was hoping someone may have a few idea's on where to look next.

..I have census for all Thomas and John EVANS 1861...and for John 1871..1881..so many could be them. I have all of Thomas in Australia..
I am trying to find his family back in the UK......

Yonks
Kilgallon Langdon Nicol Bolger Smith Carlisle Thomas Delahide Blackman Harley Amphlett Scarbourgh Murrish Oats Tonkin Aveyard Armitage Child Fox Bland Gomersal Mountain Gelder Harrison Armstrong Laws Steel Main Lambert Law Laws Christie Kirk Bell Black Amphlett Barclay Harley Dewar Rodger Fortune McCann Nealis Sutherland Rumgay

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 05 May 18 14:24 BST (UK) »
No one is reading what my quest is......WHERE ELSE..can I look

I had a feeling you would say something like that, but I thought I'd post it anyway. It might help.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Yonks Ago

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 05 May 18 14:30 BST (UK) »
As I had said in post made today..I have print outs on all Thomas EVANS and John Evans in 1861..also have print outs of John Evans in 1871..1881..none have anything that confirms if they are the Thomas and John that I'm seeking.
copy of my first post today

Where else can I look..I'm researching a convict who is not related to me and I do not know any thing of his family other than he had a brother John.
I have all of him here in Australia its finding more of him and his family in England that I'm after.
Thomas EVANS [ cotton spinner ]..born abt 1837..ship Balgravia arrived 4th July 1866..unmarried [ never married ] Sentence Province Warwickshire. Tried for setting fire to a hay stack... next of kin was his brother John [ cotton spinner ]who in 1866 lived in Elizabeth Street Manchester.
I have looked on many census but any of them could be him or his brother and not knowing his parents names makes it hard.
As I said above I have all of him in Australia it is ENGLAND...that I'm seeking help on
Hope someone can come up with a idea where to look next

Yonks