Author Topic: John Walsh headstone  (Read 1163 times)

Offline dave the tyke

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
John Walsh headstone
« on: Saturday 05 May 18 15:28 BST (UK) »
Help needed to ID or roughly date this piece of headstone which was spotted at the side of Shibden Hall lake.
Thanks
Dave
Bland, Greenwood Bland, Ellis, Benn, Woodhead, Priestley, Illingworth, Lightowler, Platts, Boys, Bradley, O'Hara, Hall<br /><br />Areas -  North Bierley, Northowram, West Bowling, Horton, Shelf, Allerton, Queensbury, Haworth, Ovenden, Halifax, Luddenden, Midgley, Elland, Littleborough

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Walsh headstone
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 May 18 20:25 BST (UK) »
If the top had "In Memory of" the stone must have been quite a bit wider than the piece in the photo, and I suspect it might have been something like "XXXX wife of John Walsh".

That probably makes the quest a lot harder...
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dave the tyke

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 May 18 21:53 BST (UK) »
Inclined to agree with you there arthurk. I must confess that I was just hoping to find out roughly when this style of monumental masonry was in use and perhaps a pointer or two towards John Walsh.
Dave
Bland, Greenwood Bland, Ellis, Benn, Woodhead, Priestley, Illingworth, Lightowler, Platts, Boys, Bradley, O'Hara, Hall<br /><br />Areas -  North Bierley, Northowram, West Bowling, Horton, Shelf, Allerton, Queensbury, Haworth, Ovenden, Halifax, Luddenden, Midgley, Elland, Littleborough

Online dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 May 18 00:30 BST (UK) »
Could be wife, daughter or son of John Walsh.

I would have a look at other headstones around church graveyards near Shibden Hall looking for a similar type of inscription design to get a year date range and to make a starting point of further research.

No doubt there will be some person in the know, professional headstone mason or them people who take rubbings of headstone designs and maybe a chat with staff of Halifax local studies library & Calderdale WYAS  ( was both in same room floor at the old library). If your moving in the right circles - there will be somebody who knows somebody who is up on the subject. Have a word with Malcolm Bull as he knows a lot about a broad view of Halifax past history.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=23864

http://www.calderdalecompanion.co.uk/
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline dave the tyke

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 06 May 18 11:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks dobfarm, the style of the 'of' with the swirl around it looks very unusual. That could be Significant.
I do need to visit Halifax sometime soon so I'll visit the local studies library.
Dave

Online dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 06 May 18 12:06 BST (UK) »
As an after thought, at one time a lot of churches use to clear very old unsafe headstones to grass over the areas involved in the graveyard (Birstall St Peter for one), after taking records of inscriptions, they sold the stones for uses by reclaiming material firms and John Walsh stone could have come from afar not connected to Shibden Hall area of Halifax itself.

Also the surname Walsh is more wide spread nationally - not really just a local name to Halifax/Bradford/Huddersfield/Todmorden/Brighouse parishes. (To check PR/ NC registers)

Yet  ??? you maybe lucky!  :D
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 06 May 18 13:39 BST (UK) »
I'd hoped to check the Calderdale FHS transcription index, but it doesn't seem to be available at the moment. However, I had a look at Malcolm Bull's Calderdale Companion, and found that he has a section on the surname Walsh - http://www.calderdalecompanion.co.uk/mmw114.html#11

I may be wrong, but my impression is that the stone might date from the late 1700s or early 1800s, and most of Malcolm's names seem to come from a bit later. Nevertheless, it might be worth scanning through the list.

I did notice one with a Shibden connection (there may be more!) - Jonathan Walsh, who at one time owned Dove House. There are links from that page to more information about Dove House, and also about Jonathan, who apparently asked for his wife to be buried in one corner of a field, and he would be buried in the opposite corner.
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Offline dave the tyke

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 06 May 18 16:56 BST (UK) »
Hi arthurk,
I'm following this from a post on facebook and the person who posted found the same information about Jonathan Walsh and his wife. I am reluctant to accept that Jonathan appears as John on his headstone but it is possible. The lake was constructed in Ann Listers time so perhaps the kerb stones were put in place at that time also?
thanks
Dave

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 06 May 18 17:28 BST (UK) »
I'd had doubts about Jonathan appearing as John, too, but I wondered if they might be different people in the same family.

If you mean the celebrated Ann Lister (1791-1840), I suspect the stone might have been too recent in her lifetime to be broken up and used in that way.

On the other hand, if a monumental mason made a mess of a stone, might he have broken it up for alternative uses? Pure fantasy, of course - probably better to look for actual burials first.  :)