Author Topic: John Walsh headstone  (Read 1160 times)

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Walsh headstone
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 09 May 18 11:10 BST (UK) »
FindMyPast have the BTs for Halifax, but the registers are at Ancestry. Between them it might be possible to isolate a few entries with a husband or father called John Walsh.

The Calderdale FHS index is working for me now. All but one of the memorial inscriptions has just the surname and the name of the churchyard, so you'd need to access the full data to make progress that way. The burials mostly give the deceased's place of residence, but you don't seem to be able to search on a spouse or parent's forename.

If you're fairly local, you might find it helpful to visit the society's research room in Brighouse library, where I guess you'd be able to get all the information behind these results. Details are on the society website.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dave the tyke

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 09 May 18 16:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks Arthurk and dobfarm
I appreciate the time you are spending on this but as I said I am just following up someone's facebook photo and post on the Calderdale site. I don't anticipate chasing it up too much.
 It's a long time since I visited Shibden Hall but I have vague recollections of headstones leaning against a wall, perhaps they were in the stable yard or a workshop area. They may have been purchased as stone to use for repairs in in the grounds? I believe the reuse of headstones is fairly common practise and still goes on now. Some of the headstones from Southowram Methodist Chapel were used to make a wall within the new apartment grounds and others disappeared. Thanks anyway
Dave
Bland, Greenwood Bland, Ellis, Benn, Woodhead, Priestley, Illingworth, Lightowler, Platts, Boys, Bradley, O'Hara, Hall<br /><br />Areas -  North Bierley, Northowram, West Bowling, Horton, Shelf, Allerton, Queensbury, Haworth, Ovenden, Halifax, Luddenden, Midgley, Elland, Littleborough

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 09 May 18 17:23 BST (UK) »
No problems - I don't do Facebook, so feel free to post any of my thoughts there if appropriate. Don't feel you need to attribute them to me - in fact I'd rather you didn't mention me by name, since as far as I'm concerned, the less Facebook knows about me the better.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk