Author Topic: William Russell b. 1814  (Read 906 times)

Offline chieflx

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Russell b. 1814
« on: Saturday 05 May 18 20:52 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I am trying to find information on my 2x great grandfather, William Russell

I have his attestation papers, which claim he was born 'in the parish of Stoke near the town of Bromsgrove in the County of Worcester'. . The papers give his age as 20 years old and are dated 1834, making his birth year around 1814.

I have tried to find a village called Stoke on different maps, old and new or a reference to a Stoke parish but i have not had any luck. Do people with a bit more knowledge than myself think it is most likely to be Stoke Prior? if so can anyone point me in the directions of the parish records? ideally on line but if not which record office I would have to go to please.

Many thanks in advance for any help,

regards
Rob Russell
Luscombe, Russell, Pepperell, Crichton & Anton.  Areas include Scotland, Devon and Germany but the Russell side has spread over most of the UK

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
Re: William Russell b. 1814
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 May 18 22:57 BST (UK) »
Hi

Stoke Prior is only a couple of miles from Bromsgrove and would seem to be the closest I can find. But the only baptism I can see is in Severn Stoke in 1817, but that's about 18 miles from Bromsgrove

William bapt. 6 Jun 1817 at Severn Stoke son of William & Hannah Russell.

Claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline chieflx

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 May 18 12:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Claire,

Thanks for that, I admit I am confused by it. Mainly because it doesn't give Stoke as a village but as a parish so in reality I suppose the village/place of birth could be called something other than Stoke.

I live in Devon but I suspect I might have to take a trip up to The Hive, (I assume that's where the records would be) and spend a day looking at all possibilities.

Thanks again for your time and help,

regards
Rob Russell
Luscombe, Russell, Pepperell, Crichton & Anton.  Areas include Scotland, Devon and Germany but the Russell side has spread over most of the UK

Online trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 May 18 13:58 BST (UK) »
What other info do you have on William?
Did he marry post Sept 1837?
Does he appear 1841/1851 Census?

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline chieflx

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 06 May 18 17:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Trish,
I have plenty of other information on William, it's the birth I'm stuck with.

Yes he did marry, in fact he married three times. The 1st being in Plymouth in 1840 and I have all his service records. He died and is buried in Cornwall. He is in all the censuses.

I am lucky because I live in Devon, where he was based for his military service as a marine and have access to the local records office in Plymouth.

I know he had at least 3 children, with my great grandfather being one. 

Several family members have tried to trace him further back. Some are immediate family I already knew about and some are distant relatives I've learnt about since I started my family research, and it's been fascinating 'discovering' and exchanging information with them but we've all hit the same brick wall regarding this particular person.

Regards,
Rob

Online trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 08 May 18 14:25 BST (UK) »
So if he married 3 times you have his Fathers name/occp from those Marriage Certs?

For those who may be able to help;
1861 he is Wm born c 1816 Feckenham
1871 c 1816 Readdich
1881 c 1815 Fakenham
1891 c 1816 Redditch
(typed up as spelt on Anc.)

Trish :)

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline chieflx

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 08 May 18 17:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Trish,

Yes, I do have copies of his marriage certificates and even those are a bit strange

1st Marriage 1840 Plymouth, father is listed as Name: William Russell Occupation: Carpenter
2nd Marriage 1860 Totnes, father is listed Name: William Russell (deceased) Occupation: Carpenter
3rd Marriage 1883  Lostwithiel,  father is listed Name: Robert Russell (deceased) Occupation: Carpenter

I have no idea why his fathers name is different in the final marriage, but all the other facts are the same. In addition, different people doing independent research have reached the same conclusion about the third marriage.

As he was born in 1814, and there is a father on the marriage certs, I am assuming his parents must have been married prior to that. He signed up to the marines in 1843, I have never been able to find him in either the 1851 or 61 censuses. I assume because he was at sea I do have in all the other censuses until his death in 1895.

Regards
Rob 

Online trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 09 May 18 13:37 BST (UK) »
You say you dont have the 1861 Census;

1861 he is Wm Russell born c 1816 Feckenham.

Cant find him 1841/1851.

Yes I agree naming his Father as Robert on 3rd Marriage is strange.