Author Topic: Help dating photograph - Branton/Abbott family London East End  (Read 626 times)

Offline Elliebean54

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help dating photograph - Branton/Abbott family London East End
« on: Sunday 06 May 18 01:44 BST (UK) »
This is an unlabelled family photograph and no one living knows who the people are.

However, one of the women bears a very striking family resemblance and we believe she is likely to be one of two family connections - it all hinges on the date!
It looks roughly Edwardian to but that's a bit too vague so I would really appreciate any more expert eyes who could give a clearer idea when this was taken

PS having looked at the preview I can see a big chunk has been chopped off -  I must have sized it wrong. Apologies and I hope there's enough there to work with

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
Re: Help dating photograph - Branton/Abbott family London East End
« Reply #1 on: Monday 07 May 18 00:08 BST (UK) »
My guess, that's g-u-e-s-s (I'm a bit hit and miss, so hopefully moving it up the board will attract the experts): transition period of late Edwardian/pre-war, i.e. 1912 give or take a couple of years.
Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline Elliebean54

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 May 18 09:23 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your reply - you are close to my best guess on date as well. It's so critical because if we're correct then there is only one person this lady could be - the only surviving picture of my Great Grandmother.

Critical date cut off is it needs to be pre 1918 to be GGM - if it was her daughter who looks so like her it couldn't be before about 1922-24 because of her age

I include here the chunk of picture that got cut off when I uploaded before, including the lady herself.

Any further dating input would be gratefully received

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 07 May 18 10:45 BST (UK) »
Agree with Peter. One or two of these hairstyles were popular over a short period, 1908-12 so along with the general dress styles the few years prior to WW1 is about right.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline Elliebean54

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 07 May 18 11:24 BST (UK) »
Agree with Peter. One or two of these hairstyles were popular over a short period, 1908-12 so along with the general dress styles the few years prior to WW1 is about right.

Thank you.

This is so exciting. We didn't think we had any pictures of GGM Mags and I didn't trust my own judgement on dates, though I was thinking 1910-1915 ish myself. If that's 1908-1912 then it's her aged around 30.

Tragically she was lost to Spanish Flu in the winter of 1917/18, and her husband died the following year in an industrial accident. Thankfully her oldest daughter was grown and married and able to bring up her youngest children who were only 1, 4 and 7 when she died. My own grandfather was 21/22 and married my GM not long afterwards.