Author Topic: Illegal immigrant 1838 Ann Collins  (Read 1731 times)

Offline Andcarred

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Illegal immigrant 1838 Ann Collins
« on: Sunday 06 May 18 06:15 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

My 2xgreat grandmother Ann Collins came to Oz as an unrecorded person on the convict ship Margaret(1) with her mother Mary Collins (7 years for stealing butter).  .  I am told the Irish were a lot more forgiving than the English when it came to closing their eyes to the children of women convicts who wished to stay with their mothers.  In this case Mary was tried in Dublin and then sent to Cork jail where she was kept until it was time to board the ship.   I can only assume that daughter Ann, aged around 10-12 years, accompanied her mother from Dublin to Cork and then stayed in the jail with her before boarding the ship.  Does this scenario sound likely?  Sounds like a lot of "looking the other way" to me.   

Annie
Allwood-Birmingham-Australia
Collins-Dublin
North-Sweden
Vincent-Dewlish, Dorset
Austen-Lydd
Dewsbury-Sutton Bonnington, Notts
Wood-Leeds/Huddersfield, Yorks
Godden-Cornwall/London
Jackett-Cornwall

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Illegal immigrant 1838 Ann Collins
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 May 18 07:13 BST (UK) »
I am quite sure there was no so such thing as an illegal immigrant in 1838.  Many children were transported along with their parents as they would otherwise have had to be supported by the parish.

Debra  :)

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 May 18 07:37 BST (UK) »
Onboard the Margaret which arrived in May 1837 were four cabin passengers, 35 free settlers, and 151 female prisoners with 23 children.

Debra  :)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 07 May 18 01:36 BST (UK) »
I agree with Dundee,  no such thing as illegal immigrant in NSW admin in the 1830s.   I see that Mary was 46 years old, a married woman with six children,  five males, one female.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Andcarred

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 07 May 18 23:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Dundee and JM,

The "illegal immigrant" label was something of a joke, obviously a poor one if nobody got it.   I was just wondering how it all came about.   There is no permission given that I can find and Ann is not on the passenger list.   There are several other children who accompanied their mothers who are likewise not on the passenger list.  Therefore the exact numbers given to the Colonial Secretary about the number of passengers (or cargo as the convicts were considered to be, hence the name Indent and not passenger list) on the ship was incorrect. 

This situation was addressed some years later by the Colonial Secretary writing to Ireland saying he had become aware that there were unlisted children on the ship and asking for details of their names and ages.   Every child seems to have been given the birth date of 25 December in whatever was the closest year to their age.   Rafferty's rules really did seem to apply.

Andcarred
Allwood-Birmingham-Australia
Collins-Dublin
North-Sweden
Vincent-Dewlish, Dorset
Austen-Lydd
Dewsbury-Sutton Bonnington, Notts
Wood-Leeds/Huddersfield, Yorks
Godden-Cornwall/London
Jackett-Cornwall

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 08 May 18 01:09 BST (UK) »
 :D  Lack of documentation on ships' manifests was not just for those children who 'came free' accompanying Mum under a sentence 'beyond the seas'. 

Even if a family was coming of their own accord, it seems to me that those children in steerage were often not well documented by name, even into early 20th century.   There was no real need for the children to be named individually on those voyages, and of course, very little need for individuals to have a portfolio of ID style documents anyway .... During the voyage the numbers were needed for catering etc, and of course any list even if it only mentioned Mr & Mrs SURNAME and x children would  be 'too much info' if the steward in charge of allocating mess etc was not literate.    The Convict Indents of course are prison records, and so there's more chance of details on female convict records than on any other 'came free' female from first settlement through to around WWI.   

I think you have achieved great success in following up on the Col Sec correspondence.   PS cannot be Rafferty's rules if there's consistency in birthdays, afterall Murphy's Law says that Rafferty was an optimist.   

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline Westward

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 09 May 18 12:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Dundee and JM,

The "illegal immigrant" label was something of a joke, obviously a poor one if nobody got it.

This situation was addressed some years later by the Colonial Secretary writing to Ireland saying he had become aware that there were unlisted children on the ship and asking for details of their names and ages.   Every child seems to have been given the birth date of 25 December in whatever was the closest year to their age.   Rafferty's rules really did seem to apply.

Andcarred

It read well  :)  I had a distant ancestor who was convicted at the old Bailey. She came on board with two children. They were named on the shipping list - perhaps the English were more particular than the Irish. They had a slightly french sounding surname & a few years ago I found an early 20th century descendant proclaiming he came from French Aristocracy. Lots of inventive ways to lose the convict ancestry in my family  ;D

Giving the children the same birth date sounds rather like how horses are treated - somewhat sad that this was considered a valid option.

Offline ChuckyB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 11 April 19 03:54 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

My 2xgreat grandmother Ann Collins came to Oz as an unrecorded person on the convict ship Margaret(1) with her mother Mary Collins (7 years for stealing butter).  .  I am told the Irish were a lot more forgiving than the English when it came to closing their eyes to the children of women convicts who wished to stay with their mothers.  In this case Mary was tried in Dublin and then sent to Cork jail where she was kept until it was time to board the ship.   I can only assume that daughter Ann, aged around 10-12 years, accompanied her mother from Dublin to Cork and then stayed in the jail with her before boarding the ship.  Does this scenario sound likely?  Sounds like a lot of "looking the other way" to me.   

Annie

Hi Annie,
I am trying to track down the parents (and ancestors) of Sarah, Thomas and James Howell (born 1844, 1846 and 1849 in Maitland, NSW, Australia). Their mother was Ann Collins.  Do you know if this is the same Collins that you were asking about?
Thanks,
Charles

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 11 April 19 07:20 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Welcome to RootsChat

:D  :D

Familysearch online index has the following info and the cards on which the info is drawn. 

Samuel HOWELL, aged 95 years, died 6 August 1895 was buried in the Roman Catholic Cemetery, Merriwa.  He was born Senoaks, England and married Ann COLLINS at Paterson at 43 years of age.  Particulars from the Death Register.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QSQ-G9WY-5KQ5?i=20&cc=2058669   
Image 21 of 50.

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=394279.0
[/quote]

Hi,
I am trying to track down the parents (and ancestors) of Sarah, Thomas and James Howell (born 1844, 1846 and 1849 in Maitland, NSW, Australia). Their father was Samuel Howell who died on 6 Aug 1895.  Do you know if this is the same Samuel Howell that you were asking about?
Thanks,
Charles
[/quote]

JM