Author Topic: Which is better - one long matching strand or several shorter?  (Read 732 times)

Offline diplodicus

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Remember, no great adventure started with salad.
    • View Profile
Which is better - one long matching strand or several shorter?
« on: Sunday 06 May 18 13:04 BST (UK) »
This is one for my fellow DNA geeks...

In my Ancestry matches, I have a match to 'A' that total 59 cM spread over six segments. I seem to remember that ancestry's threshold for such things is 7cM?

I also have a match to 'B' that totals 42 cM but over only two segments.

In my Ancestry results 'A' is at the very top of my 4th to 6th cousins and 'B' appears as number eleven.

I hadn't appreciated the implications of this until I realised that A matched to B, P, Q R & S whilst B matches to A, W, X & Y.

In other words both A and B matched to P!!

Am I correct in thinking that either A & B might be related twice but more probably B is actually a stronger match than A?

Or should I get out more?
Thomas, Davies, Jones, Walters, Daniel in Carmarthenshire and Ceredigion. That should narrow it down a bit!
Vincent: Fressingfield, Suffolk, Stockton & Sunderland.
Murtha/Murtaugh: Dundalk & Sunderland
Ingram: Cairnie by Huntly, Scotland then Abergavenny, Monmouthshire.
Bardouleau: London - in memory of my stepmother Annie Rose née Bardouleau who put up with a lot from me.
gedmatch.com A006809
Kit uploaded to familytreedna.com B171041
Y-DNA R-M269 & mtDNA U5b1f

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Which is better - one long matching strand or several shorter?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 May 18 13:44 BST (UK) »
You should get out more  ;D (Don't worry I am going away tomorrow  ;) )

My understanding has always been that one long match is better than several shorter matches as this indicates a closer kinship to the person with the longer match and indeed several shorter matches could be the result of noise or coincidence especially if the short matches are very short (some say below 7cM but others say below 10CM).

Caveat: I am not an expert this is just my understanding FWIW
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.