Author Topic: 18656 Pte Harry Wright 1st Batt Dorsetshire Regt  (Read 2431 times)

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 18656 Pte Harry Wright 1st Batt Dorsetshire Regt
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 08 May 18 19:55 BST (UK) »
Isabella Mary Crowcroft born 1885 is living with grandparents Rivers in Kensal Town 1891.  Dies 1881.

No identifiable sign of Thomas in military records after 1911.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline gralorn

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I Find More Brick Walls Than A Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 08 May 18 20:02 BST (UK) »
leave it there Max, just not winning with this one, thanks for help though. Appreciated.
Allard/Allwood/Alwood/ From Suffolk
Wright/Croftwright/ From London
Langmaid/ from Lanteglos By Fowey
Greig/ Banff/ Aberdeen

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 09 May 18 02:42 BST (UK) »
Not winning, gralorn?

I definitely think this Croftwright family are yours - don't know about the father absconding which you mentioned earlier but in 1901 wife Mary is now Wright shown as a widow and living in Bedwelty, Monmouthshire where she is a 'Teacher in Board School' and with her are daughter Rhoda and her sister in law Annie Wright who is also 'Teacher in Board School'.

As Croftwright Thomas and Mary Jane, nee Rivers had the following children:

Isabella Mary - born June quarter 1885 Chelsea
Rhoda - born Dec.1886 Chelsea
Thomas George J. (new GRO index shows J is for Joshua) - born Dec.1888 Chelsea
Henry William M.  (new GRO index shows M is for Mager) - born June qtr.1890 Chelsea
George Edward - born Sept.1895 Chelsea
Margaret - born June qtr.1898 Chelsea

Can't find eldest daughter Isabella, nor youngest Margaret, in 1901 BUT sons Thomas, Henry (Harry in 1891) and George appear to be at some kind of school 'Sisters of Charity' in Sculcoates, Yorkshire.

Cannot give details re. 1911 census but Mary is now in Portisham, Dorset.    I wonder whether this may be why Harry joined a Dorset regiment.

The Thomas Wright you mention as being in Wiltshire regiment in Devizes in 1911 is not the former Thomas George Croftwright.   He was a plain Thomas Wright, coincidentally son of a Thomas and Mary, but found he enlisted 13/6/1905 when he was then living in Swindon, as indeed were his family (they'd moved there in 1890's).   His father and brothers are named, and address was 6 Byron Road, Swindon.

So, as the Croftwright's have become plain Wright by 1901 locating the 3 sons in 1911 will no doubt be problematic with such a common surname.

I note on 1881 census the name Croftwright is shown as Croft-Wright.

So whether Thomas senior absconded or did in fact die, clearly wife Mary had to support her family as best she could and became a teacher in Wales (1901 when 3 boys at school in Yorkshire) and Dorset (1911).

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gralorn

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I Find More Brick Walls Than A Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 09 May 18 08:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks Annette for all that, the most interesting part being that it was just a ' plain' Thomas Wright with same named parents from Swindon that was in the Wiltshire Regt. So I must still find out what my uncle Thomas did in the war. I know that he got married at Sherborne in Dorset and then they moved North. Margaret was also in a Charity orphanage at Hereford run by nuns not too far from her mother in Monmouthshire near Tredgar, so the nuns thought that this was where she had been born and put it as place of birth on the census. Margaret is my grandmother. Isabella is also in a charity school. Thank you though for all that you found out, appreciated.
Allard/Allwood/Alwood/ From Suffolk
Wright/Croftwright/ From London
Langmaid/ from Lanteglos By Fowey
Greig/ Banff/ Aberdeen

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 09 May 18 10:13 BST (UK) »
Annette has it exactly right from the military records.  The Thomas Wright born Chelsea and who lived in Swindon was indeed another family.  He first enlisted in the 2nd Battalion Wiltshire Regiment in 1904 for 4 months and then discharged with service no longer required.  He rejoined but this time in the 3rd Battalion, the militia (part time), in 1905, transferring to the full time regiment in 1906.  It may well be him in Devizes in 1911 but as his number is not given, we don't know.

Where he served in the war is, as said, an unknown.

MaxD

I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 09 May 18 12:11 BST (UK) »
Gralorn - I don't know if you are aware but Army service records were destroyed by enemy action in 1940 and the records that are available now online are just the 40% that survived.  That's a huge loss.   Both of my own grandfathers served in WW1 and sadly their records must have been in the 60% destroyed by fire.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk