Author Topic: Tobin / Hilliard, Carlow  (Read 3763 times)

Offline KateGVA

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tobin / Hilliard, Carlow
« on: Monday 07 May 18 12:05 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone,

I am looking for information on Tobins and Hilliards from Carlow Town. In particularly, Pat (Thomas) Tobin.

Pat (Thomas) Tobin, a horse shoer/blacksmith – born approx.1850

His parents were James and Mary Tobin (no maiden name given)

Pat Tobin married Mary Anne Hilliard on 01 August 1871.

I have both the civil record and the parish record for this marriage. These are the earliest documents I have for Pat Tobin. On the civil record, Pat put his name as Thomas but in the Parish record, he put Pat. Graig is his residence in the parish record and Carlow in civil registration.
From this, I gather that Pat Tobin was living in Graiguecullen. Does anyone have any info on Tobins from this area? I found a James Tobin (approx 1822 - 1893) who was a boatman. This is the only James I could find that would match as a father for Pat.

I have also searched the baptism records for Pat and the closest match I could find was from Graiguenamanagh in County Kilkenny. Graiguenamanagh and Carlow town are connected by the river Barrow so I did wonder that if the Tobin's were a boating family, would this make sense?
Pat and Mary Anne went on to have 8 children that I could find. They moved from the Green Lane/Closh area to the Liberties in Dublin around 1879. Some of the children ended up in Birmingham.

Mary Anne Hilliard was born abt. 1854 in Carlow to Joseph Hilliard ( 1824-1903) and Mary Doyle (1822-1882). Joseph was a cooper.

I would be grateful for any info you can give, or any insights on boating families in the area.

Thank you in advance,
Kate

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile

Offline irishrose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Tobin / Hilliard, Carlow
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 August 18 23:12 BST (UK) »
Mary Anne and Edward Hilliard were my great grandmother Katherine Hilliards siblings.   I have a photo of Edward but not Mary Anne.   The Hilliards were from the Green Lane area of Carlow, father Joseph Hilliard, a cooper, and their mother was  Mary Doyle from Shillelagh.
Joseph died at his daughter Katherines home in Green Lane.  Katherine was married to Michael Corcoran and their youngest son Michael was my grandfather.  I have the full history of Kate and Michaels family and a little on the Hilliards.

Offline David Ryan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 August 18 00:12 BST (UK) »
I think this is Pat's baptism in Graignamanagh to james tobin and mary doyle.
and for graiguecullen sort is always Graigue.

Here's transcription of is baptism with link to image
First name(s)   Pat
Last name   Tobin
Birth year   -
Baptism year   1847
Baptism date   12 Feb 1847
Parish   Graignamanagh
Alternative parish names   Graig, Graignenamanagh, Ullard
Diocese   Kildare and Leighlin
County   Carlow, Kilkenny
Country   Ireland
Father's first name(s)   James
Father's last name   Tobin
Mother's first name(s)   Mary
Mother's last name   Doyle
Repository   National Library of Ireland
National Library of Ireland link   http://registers.nli.ie//registers/vtls000634466#page/1/mode/1up
Register   Baptism
Record set   Ireland Roman Catholic Parish Baptisms
Category   Life Events (Birth, Marriage, Death)
Subcategory   Parish Baptisms
Collections from   Ireland
Transcript Copyright Ancestry.com LLC

Offline irishrose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 August 18 22:03 BST (UK) »
Hi David,   I think the Tobin families from Graignamangh and Graiguecullen would have been separate families.  You are correct that both villages used Graigue as a shortened version of their name, but Graignamanagh is 25 miles from Carlow town, but Graiguecullen is a suburb, on the Laois border.  There was a family of Tobins in Sleaty Street in Graiguecullen around the 1900s, so it is more likely that they are Tobin family that Mary Anne Hilliard married into.

Offline David Ryan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 23 August 18 23:07 BST (UK) »
Hi irishrose

I know that but if his father was either a labourer/boatman that distance wouldnt make a difference as the barrow connects them both and could of easily travelled up the river. Last thing don't mean it to sound bad if it does sorry in advance graigue is actually laois unless us from Carlow want to piss them off we say it's carlow as there's been along disute over where the border is so there's right now a big triangle on the map.

Offline irishrose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 23 August 18 23:43 BST (UK) »
Lol David,  No offence taken.   I grew up in the area and am a proud Laois woman ;) ;) ;).   The Tobins were neighbours of my fathers family in Sleaty Street.   Several of the Tobins went to New York, and I have reconnected with one of the family in recent years.   The Graigue triangle is probably more complex than the Bermuda triangle - citizens living in the Carlow section claiming they are from Laois and citizens in the Laois section claiming they are from Carlow.     ;D ;D ;D   But we all have a 'sense of place' and wherever we want to identify with is fine.  It is great for the banter at local gatherings, isn't it??

Offline David Ryan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 24 August 18 00:01 BST (UK) »
That's true you grow up in graigue so you know the game and you  probably know some of my relates
My great uncle is leaving on sleaty Road. They be begley's