Author Topic: Fate of Everest Anseline after time on 'The Vernon'  (Read 12172 times)

Offline Gold prospector

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Fate of Everest Anseline after time on 'The Vernon'
« on: Monday 07 May 18 13:27 BST (UK) »
My grandfather (Everest) was one of 4 young children whose father, a gold prospector, (Jules Francois - originally from Mauritius) died unexpectedly in 1876 in Parkes, NSW, and whose mother, shortly after, went to gaol for sly grog selling (to support the family!). Without any means of support, they were placed in institutions in Sydney - the 2 girls in "The Roman Catholic Orphanage" and the 2 boys on the decommissioned naval vessel, "The Vernon", in Sydney Harbour, where official records have him called "Everis". It was immediately noted that, at age 3, he was too young to be on the ship and so ensured a lot of correspondence between the Captain and the Colonial Office about what to do with him. It was resolved to send him to be with his sisters in the Orphan School, in January, 1877. However, I have been unable to confirm this. It was also the practice to have 'graduates' of the orphan schools (when old enough) to be indentured out to families to work for a few years. However, I can't confirm this either. An elderly living cousin of mine thinks Everest may have lived and worked on the river boats in Morpeth in the Hunter Valley, NSW. But electoral roles haven't helped me there either. Meanwhile, his mother, Mary, had remarried and moved to Broken Hill, NSW. She seemed to have found one of Everest's brothers and a sister through newspaper advertisements.The next event I have identified is his marriage, in Broken Hill, in September 1897. So the question is: "What happened to him in those 20 years between 1877 and 1897"?
Sorry about the long story, however, I'd be grateful for any suggestions!

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
Re: Fate of Everest Anseline after time on 'The Vernon'
« Reply #1 on: Monday 07 May 18 14:07 BST (UK) »
Is this a 3rd son to Mary and Jules?

Funeral notice 1911: http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article15215854

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline q98

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 May 18 14:17 BST (UK) »
There are two "Public Member Trees" (submitted to Ancestry by users who have indicated the tree can be viewed by all Ancestry paid subscribers) relating to Everest AVELINE. Although a one month subscription costs $30, it would enable you to view these trees and make contact with the submitting member who may be able to assist you. I believe his mother's name was Mary MORRIS.

I am not an Ancestry subscriber as I refuse to pay for data which was supplied free of charge.
q98
32.04'.04"S 115.48'.30"E
Hamilton, Kennedy, Lovell, McCreadie, Murray, Workman - Ayrshire, Scotland
Lovell - Texas, USA
McCreadie - Dunedin, NZ
Boyle - Eire
McCreadie, Wills, Wyatt - Queensland
Tait/Tate - Toronto, Canada
Workman, McEwan - OFS, South Africa

Offline Gold prospector

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 07 May 18 14:27 BST (UK) »
Dear Jamjar,
Yes, Everest had two brothers: the elder one, Alfred, was born in 1872 and is the one you identified in the Death notice of 1911. Everest was born in 1873 and his younger brother, Frederick, in 1874. Their older sisters were Julia (Julietta) and Emily. The parents were Jules and Mary.

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 07 May 18 14:28 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat, Gold Prospector.

Presuming you do not know which orphanage the girls were sent to, I can think of two possibilities in Sydney, though do not know that either or both were operating in 1876.

My father's parents had a green grocer shop in North Sydney in the early 1900s and maybe earlier. Dad told me once that when he was a teenager (c.1913 or so) his mother used to give the nuns at St Joseph's Orphanage at Crows Nest/Lane Cove a sugar bag of vegetables each week.  He presumed it was 'conscience money' when I discovered his mum had grown up as Catholic but married a non-Catholic  ::) ::)  ::)

When I was a kid in the 1940s in Sydney, there was an orphanage at Waitara, run by the Mercy nuns. 
No, sorry, Google says that one was established only in 1898.   And the Lane Cove one a little earlier but too late for your people.

Looking at http://www.sydneycatholic.org/about/orphanage-records.shtml  it might be the last one on the list, at Parramatta

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline Gold prospector

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 07 May 18 14:32 BST (UK) »
Dear q98,
Many thanks for that tip - it never ceases to amaze how poor spelling can throw one off the 'scent'.
However, I will chase that alternative spelling up on the family trees you mentioned and see what happens.

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 07 May 18 14:47 BST (UK) »
Obit for Everest says he spent his youth and manhood in and around Hinton, Morpeth districts.

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article134639568

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Gold prospector

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 07 May 18 14:49 BST (UK) »
Dear Dawn,
Yours is an interesting story!
Actually, in an attempt to be as succinct as possible, I didn't mention in my post that I had inquired about Parramatta from the Archivist at The Good Samaritans but without success (thinking that the Industrial Training School there - where the sisters were placed - was the likely place Everest/Everis ended up; but there's no record, despite the extensive letters about him on "The Vernon" . So, short of employing someone down at the State Records Office to do a more intensive search, I'm not sure which way to go there.
I thought there may be information about families that took indentured young people after they had 'served' their time (as there is information about the families that sisters Julia and Emily were indentured out to - on the discharge papers from the institution) and there is a Police report of Everest's older brother, Alfred absconding from his post-orphan school 'employer' a couple of times!
But nothing on Everest.

Offline Gold prospector

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 07 May 18 14:59 BST (UK) »
Dear Jamjar,
Thank you for that...
Actually, now that you have prompted my memory, Everest's obit was written by my father (who has unfortunately, himself been deceased for many years and never mentioned that detail in life). However, that would suggest that Everest was in that area. Now, is there a way of 'joining the dots' between Sydney in 1877 and Morpeth? Could he have been indentured out from whatever orphanage he was in (in Sydney) to a Hunter Valley family?