Author Topic: Old burial records for NSW  (Read 2239 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Old burial records for NSW
« Reply #18 on: Friday 11 May 18 00:59 BST (UK) »
Sharing a thought (I have not checked Trove or any of my offline resources,) :

NSW BDM online has a burial indexed :

Vol 22, line 2206
Ann SMITH, aged 18.

Vol 22 is CofE  :)   The online index has known flaws so don't rely on the select dates option for the day and month (yes, it will come up with 21 Oct 1838) as ANY date in 1838 will return the same reference no. from that index.  ::)

ADD, so if you have patience and a comfy armchair, you could spend hours/days online at NSW BDM index using " * " for surname or other options and 1838 for year and then seek those key names out on Trove or similar ....  :) 

CofE burial in Sydney 1838 :  likely Devonshire St Cemetery, but there were other cemeteries too.
http://www.visitsydneyaustralia.com.au/cemeteries.html

https://trove.nla.gov.au/work/34455166?q&versionId=45804926

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Rufous Treecreeper

• RootsChat Senior
  • My lovely Granny 1909 to 2017
    • View Profile
Re: Old burial records for NSW
« Reply #19 on: Friday 11 May 18 09:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks again JM, and I feel honoured to have Anna put on your missing persons list  :)

The last definite reference I have found to her in the old letters was this written by her mother on 9 Aug 1838 - "I would see about that letter in the dead list and forward it... I hope you will not forget that letter for I have not heard from your poor sister since shee [sic] left Sidney [sic]"
Interesting that her mother says Anna 'left Sidney'.  BUT it could be that her mother missed out the 'for' between 'left' and 'Sydney'.  Her literacy was poor.

Regarding her death date and place, I have found amongst my papers that her father recorded her death in his Bible (I have this from a letter written by someone who had the Bible, rather than from me seeing the Bible itself).  Apparently he wrote - "Anna Best died at Sydney October 21st 1838 aged 18 years 8 months".

The burial you found for Ann Smith bares checking, thank you :) as Anna may have taken up with a new bloke (she certainly did have form ;)) while there and taken his name.  A marriage wouldn't have been legal as her husband was still alive.

Many thanks,
Marlene  :)
Best (Sussex/Australia)
Brown (Kent/Australia)
Milbourne (Australia)
Orr (Renfrew/Fife/Australia)
Livingstone, Bryson, Hutton (Hamilton, Lanark)