Author Topic: Elizabeth Smith, born 1819, Orsett  (Read 3610 times)

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth Smith, born 1819, Orsett
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 09 May 18 16:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks.
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 10 May 18 08:45 BST (UK) »

Herefordshire as pob is odd. Could it have been Hertfordshire on householder's original form and enumerator mistranscribed. Rebecca's birthplace of Langley is a long way from Chadwell, practically in Herts and a very small place between Clavering and Barley. I assume Langley in Essex as all other Essex towns villages have county omitted (sloppy job!).

I agree that Hertfordshire is more likely.
Squinting hard at the image, I think the enumerator has put Sx for those born in Essex. There is a "do" for Rebecca, but that would be from Herefordshire above (which we think ought really to be Hertfordshire)
So it may be just possible that Rebecca was from Hertfordshire?
But, yes, Langley near Clavering is close, and Mr Bray usually says Enfield in Middlesex.

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 04 October 23 10:50 BST (UK) »
RE this, much of Chadwell’s records are now on FreeREG, and:

John Rush, buried Chadwell, 4th of September 1817, aged 35
So
John Rush, christened Chadwell, 11th of November 1781, to Richard and Sarah;

George Rush, christened Chadwell, 7th of June 1817.

Doesn’t solve any of the mysteries about Rebecca and Benjamin’s origins sadly, nor what became of Benjamin after 1819 or a christening for Rebecca Rush (Jnr.) allegedly born c. 1807 in Enfield. I did find in Langley a single christening for a Rebecca, Rebecca Corbe, christened on the 11th of June 1780, to George and Hannah.
Lipman family of Aldgate - ends with Lewis Lipman (d. 1871, Bethnal Green), son of John Lipman 'late of Glasgow' (1856)
McGregor family of Fodderty - ends with Alexander McGregor (b. 1765, Fodderty), son of Murdoch McGregor and Kate Stewart

Offline MacGrigor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 04 October 23 10:54 BST (UK) »
I believe this Rebecca was buried in Langley on the 17th of December 1784, though.