Author Topic: 1939 Register on Ancestry  (Read 15585 times)

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
Re: 1939 Register on Ancestry
« Reply #90 on: Monday 14 May 18 15:44 BST (UK) »
I can read mirror writing or upside down better.
Always a useful skill, being able to scan the contents of a document on a high-up's desk when there on other business.  :)
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: Monday 14 May 18 16:46 BST (UK) »
Andrew, reading upside down mirror writing in a train window saves on newspapers.

Martin

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Monday 14 May 18 16:51 BST (UK) »
As said I found one lady instantly on the Ancestry 1939 register whereas I had a lot of trouble locating her on the FindMyPast 1939 version. She was in Chichester, Sussex.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Father - swiving then vanishing since 1750
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: Monday 14 May 18 19:00 BST (UK) »
I've found over a dozen families on the Ancestry version who I couldn't find on FindMyPast despite trying repeatedly. They were in various places. Three of them were Publicans - I don't know if there's any significance to that.

What I like about the treatment of future married women is that instead of getting the new surname with the 1939 one in brackets, both (or all) her names seem to be indexed separately.
Skelcey (Skelsey Skelcy Skeley Shelsey Kelcy Skelcher) - Warks, Yorks, Lancs <br />Hancox - Warks<br />Green - Warks<br />Draper - Warks<br />Lynes - Warks<br />Hudson - Warks<br />Morris - Denbs Mont Salop <br />Davies - Cheshire, North Wales<br />Fellowes - Cheshire, Denbighshire<br />Owens - Cheshire/North Wales<br />Hicks - Cornwall<br />Lloyd and Jones (Mont)<br />Rhys/Rees (Mont)

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: Monday 14 May 18 19:54 BST (UK) »
Hugh, at one time I heard that prisoners were to be used for transcribing, but I never heard any more about that project.  After years in IT I am still amazed at how badly computers cope with recognising scanned printed text, even recent documents.  I can read mirror writing or upside down better.

Martin

You must be thinking of the ill fated Kinky Co's (QinetiQ’s) attempts to transcribe and host the 1901 Census.

Initially the 1901 was transcribed by QinetiQ’s contractors the first being prisoners of Her Majesty, the contract was then outsourced to Sri Lanka, it was estimated that the failure rate was about 85%.
QinetiQ is/was a part of D.E.R.A., the Defence Evaluation and Research Agency a wholly government-owned corporation, all in all the whole scheme was a fiasco from beginning to end with the website frequently failing and eventually being taken offline within 4 days, the second launch was kept “secret” to prevent a repeat of the first failures a tactic likened to a bus driver not stopping for passengers in case it disrupts the timetable.

Eventually Findmypast came to the rescue and showed the National Archives just how to host such a database.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Green Dragon

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: Saturday 19 May 18 14:46 BST (UK) »
I've just had my first hints  for the 1939  register today  . Thought there was no point clicking on it  as it would just  give me  the upgrade  page   but  surprised to see  it opened   the register  . I didn't expect to find  a living  relative though and  he's   well under  100.

Offline Nats185

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: Wednesday 06 February 19 15:20 GMT (UK) »
Can someone please tell me how the register looks when you view it on Ancestry? It is a photo of the original, is it handwritten and what information does it provide?
Many thanks
Bugden, Corri, Bussey, Skinner

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: Wednesday 06 February 19 15:58 GMT (UK) »
Same as FindMyPast; photo of the handwritten sheet plus a transcription of the household.

Name, address, age, status (single/married etc.), occupation plus stated date of birth.....not always accurate; my grandpa got his wrong....no wonder he was surprised to get his pension....he was older than he thought!

When women married their new surname was shown; my mother is shown with her maiden name, then her first married name (husband died) so a second married name. The entry is a bit messy!
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nats185

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: Wednesday 06 February 19 16:21 GMT (UK) »
Thank you that is really useful!

Same as FindMyPast; photo of the handwritten sheet plus a transcription of the household.

Name, address, age, status (single/married etc.), occupation plus stated date of birth.....not always accurate; my grandpa got his wrong....no wonder he was surprised to get his pension....he was older than he thought!

When women married their new surname was shown; my mother is shown with her maiden name, then her first married name (husband died) so a second married name. The entry is a bit messy!
Bugden, Corri, Bussey, Skinner