Author Topic: An Engine Driver at Codnor Park Forge - help with photographs please.  (Read 3103 times)

Offline andycadman

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Time Wasted is Time Lost
    • View Profile
I have been asked to research the history behind a locomotive driven by a relative of a local lady.  The locomotive travelled between two local ironworks both one of which closed in 1965, the line travelling alongside a local road also now also long disappeared.
I am going to use this story as article in the next local newsletter which I edit. (The lady is in the process of writing the story behind the engine driver). The first is of the engine driver with his engine. It would be nice if someone could enhance it and add some colour as the newsletter is in colour.  I have also found a photograph of a train travelling down the line but it is very poor quality.  You can actually see the goods wagons. They are painted M.R. (Midland Railway) so this probably predates 1923 when the M.R was absorbed into the newly formed L.M.S. However, the MR on the wagons does not guarantee the photo to be pre 1923. The repainting of the railway stock, 1000's of locos, station signs, carriages and humble mineral wagons would have taken many years. You can also just make out the steam from the engine towards the right of the photograph. If someone could enhance this photograph, perhaps add some colour in order that the wagons and the steam from the locomotive can be seen more clearly it would be really appreciated, (along with other features).
Many thanks,
Andy
The main names that I am researching into at the moment are Cadman,(originating from Bulkington, Warwickshire), Smedley, (Leicestershire and Derbyshire), Paynes (Leicestershire, Yorkshire and Derbyshire) and Udall - you will also find several other names on my web page. I look forward to E-Mails from anyone who would like to share or talk about our family history.

Offline DrDude45

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Great minds... go unappreciated.
    • View Profile
Re: An Engine Driver at Codnor Park Forge - help with photographs please.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 May 18 22:47 BST (UK) »
Hope you like this one.
I just like to do photo restores.

Offline DrDude45

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Great minds... go unappreciated.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 May 18 23:17 BST (UK) »
And a quick clean of the landscape shot.

I just like to do photo restores.

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 09 May 18 08:41 BST (UK) »
Andy, no matter how long I stare at the 2nd photo and/or play around with it, I can't seem to see the steam from the loco. Would you able to describe exactly where it is, please - maybe then I'll be able to focus on it and work on an enhancement.
Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Online japeflakes

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 09 May 18 08:58 BST (UK) »
Could this be the steam (far right)?   MRMRM on wagons

Offline andycadman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 09 May 18 11:16 BST (UK) »
Thank you Japeflakes for helping to clarify things. The red arrow shows the steam coming directly from the engine and then as you move to the left you can just make out the steam dissipating into the trees.

Thank you also to DrDude45 & Peter for you enhancements to the photographs. Much appreciated.

As the newsletter is in colour if anyone can add some colour to the photographs it would be also appreciated.

I have a picture of the entire locomotive, taken just after it was sold on to another ironworks if it is of any help.

The plate just above the engine driver gives the name of the manufacturer it says “Peckett and Sons” at the top and “Bristol” below.

Andy
The main names that I am researching into at the moment are Cadman,(originating from Bulkington, Warwickshire), Smedley, (Leicestershire and Derbyshire), Paynes (Leicestershire, Yorkshire and Derbyshire) and Udall - you will also find several other names on my web page. I look forward to E-Mails from anyone who would like to share or talk about our family history.

Offline Henry7

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 09 May 18 12:40 BST (UK) »
The oval plate also has the maker's number 1961, and the date the engine was made, 1937.  So presumably this photograph was taken shortly before WW2 - or maybe after about 1948?

Does your photo of the whole engine show any other wheels at the rear end, or was it a four-wheeler?

Ballingall, Donaldson, Fulton, Gillespie, Ramsay, Walker - in Fife.
Bury - in Salford & Liverpool.
Jack - in Glasgow, Dunfermline & Dundee.
Bermingham/Birmingham - in Cork.
Eagle - in Norfolk, Edinburgh & Glasgow.

Offline andycadman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 09 May 18 13:00 BST (UK) »
Here is little more info about the engine:

The 0-4-0ST engine shown (Peckett 1961 of 1939) was delivered new to Butterley in 1939 and numbered No BC53, it was allocated to Butterley Works at Ripley where it appears to have remained until it was transferred to Codnor Park Forge in 1952. However it was sold in 1954 to W Bush & Son Ltd (Plant & Scrap Dealer), at Somercotes. It was resold from there to the Skinningrove Iron Company for further use. Therefore the picture at the top must have been taken pre sale to Bush in 1954.

I hope that this helps.  Attached to this message is photograph after it was moved on from the local ironworks.

Offline Henry7

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 09 May 18 17:10 BST (UK) »
Sorry Andy, I misread the date on the plate and certainly "1939" would make more sense - from books which quote other Peckett numbers & dates. Sadly I don't have any references to this particular locomotive.

Is it known quite how the engine was painted in your first picture - I mean what was the ground colour and the colours of the neatly lined panels?  I'd expect this will be on record somewhere, or some industrial-loco enthusiast will have notes.

Harry.
Ballingall, Donaldson, Fulton, Gillespie, Ramsay, Walker - in Fife.
Bury - in Salford & Liverpool.
Jack - in Glasgow, Dunfermline & Dundee.
Bermingham/Birmingham - in Cork.
Eagle - in Norfolk, Edinburgh & Glasgow.