Author Topic: Henry (Harry) Forrest, Whitwell  (Read 2462 times)

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Henry (Harry) Forrest, Whitwell
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 09 May 18 20:34 BST (UK) »
Was this usual for the father to take on the child back in those days? Are there any other examples of this happening with (possibly) unwed parents?

Neil.
I believe at that time a mother had no legal rights over her children. It's not something I have looked into, so may have misunderstood/ got my wires crossed :)
Newson, Steavenson, Walker, Taylor, Dobson, Gardner, Clark, Wilson, Smith, Crossland, Goldfinch, Burnett, Hebdon, Peers, Strother, Askew, Bower, Beckwith, Patton, White, Turner, Nelson, Gilpin, Tomlinson, Thompson, Spedding, Wilkes, Carr, Butterfield, Ormandy, Wilkinson, Cocking, Glover, Pennington, Bowker, Kitching, Langhorn, Haworth, Kirkham.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 09 May 18 21:42 BST (UK) »
Harry was not the childs father.  I think there has been a lot of misinformation passed down in the family over the years

He married Elsie a few months after Dorothy’s birth so took the child on.  Elsie died only months after the marriage so it’s possible Dorothy went to live with relatives as she was less than a year old at that time and it’s unlikely Harry would have been able to look after a child so young whilst working.

As for the child being a reason for him not serving in WW1 - I think that’s probably more “family story” than fact.  Don’t forget - she wasn’t his child
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Neon_strobelight

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 09 May 18 22:36 BST (UK) »
Dolly was Harry's double, so definitely think she was Harry's, so many family traits, also looked very similar to some of her cousins. When Harry died, he was buried with her not with Elsie.
Forrest, Stubbings, White, Johnson, Lewis, Hemmingray

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 09 May 18 22:44 BST (UK) »
Why was his name not on her birth cert if he was her biological father?

Presume there are family photos of both Dorothy & Harry?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Neon_strobelight

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 09 May 18 23:08 BST (UK) »
There's quite a few survive of little Dolly actually, she seemed to be a family 'favourite', mos likely because of her disability. Not so many pictures of Harry but plenty of people still alive who remember him. The Forrests were one of those families that had a 'certain look'. The type when you look at someone you don't know and you say "oh you can tell they're a ..." if you know what I mean?
Forrest, Stubbings, White, Johnson, Lewis, Hemmingray