Author Topic: 11th Regiment  (Read 937 times)

Offline Jaznjjj

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
11th Regiment
« on: Wednesday 09 May 18 10:02 BST (UK) »
The 11th Regiment Devonshire Foot used to go from town to town recruiting for the regiment.  I am trying to find out if they happened to be recruiting in Stockton, Durham in 1843.  Trying to locate the birth of a child, Richard BRUCE, later known as Richard Hamilton BRUCE.  His father was Richard BRUCE, a soldier;  his mother's name was Maria.  It looks as if the children of the family were not always baptized, possibly because of the movement of the family throughout the U.K. I checked with Durham Records Online and could find no baptism record - but there is a civil registration for the third quarter of 1843 (Volume 24, page 213). Any advice gratefully received.  J

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 11th Regiment
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 May 18 11:10 BST (UK) »
Most online trees give Maria's maiden name as Parkinson. The mother of the child born in Stockton in 1843 had the maiden name Thompson.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jaznjjj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 May 18 11:32 BST (UK) »
Thank you.  That eliminates that one!    The child's mother was Maria nee Parkinson of Derriaghy in Ireland.  The search for details about this family has been a prolonged one but there has been some success recently.  Much of the information available online is incorrect.  Because it has been so difficult to find information many people are just making assumptions. I will share the bad news with the other interested researchers.  Happy to share information if anyone would like to do that.  Again, many thanks, Jennifer

Offline Jaznjjj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 09 May 18 11:40 BST (UK) »
Just for the sake of completeness, are you able please to let me know the forenames of the child's parents?    It occurred to me that if they were Richard and Maria there might be another reason why the mother's maiden name was shown as Thompson.   :)   Jennifer

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 09 May 18 12:11 BST (UK) »
No you'd have to buy the certificate to get that information. I just used the online GRO index:

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/indexes_search.asp
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk