Author Topic: Ancestry matches don't reply to me....  (Read 7001 times)

Offline Dominic1

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ancestry matches don't reply to me....
« on: Wednesday 09 May 18 13:10 BST (UK) »
Hi

So I have done the Ancestry DNA test but I am struggling to get anyone to respond to me. I'm not sure if it's because of the way I am writing my message to them or if it's because they just aren't bothered.

Since I did it in April last year I have only had one person respond to me and even then it was a response to say they would love to find out our DNA link but then they never got back to me when I followed it up with a message. I obviously understand that people have lives and probably aren't quite as interested in finding out about their ancestry as me but is it normal to not have anyone reply to you?. I've reached out to around 25 people, all being 2nd, 3rd and 4th Cousins but I am not having much joy.

Am I alone in my struggle? does anyone have any suggestions?

Offline panda40

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry matches don't reply to me....
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 May 18 15:15 BST (UK) »
I had someone contact me so I replied back to them and I have yet to hear anything back, such a shame but not a lot that I can do.
Regards
Panda
Chapman. Kent/Liverpool 1900+
Linnett.Kent/liverpool 1900+
Button. Kent
Sawyer. Kent
Swain. Kent
Austin/en. Kent
Ellen. Kent
Harman. Kent/ norfolk

Offline ajjbc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 May 18 15:22 BST (UK) »
Hey,don't feel bad,I have had the very same experience.Have reached out to many and have had only 2 people get back to me and then they were  silent.
  I guess these folks are all in their own little world, its too bad as many of us have a lot to share.
I have been researching for about 40 years. Oh Well !!
IRELAND: Algeo,Armstrong,Brick, ,Hendren/Hendron,Hopkins,Ramage,   SCOTLAND:Ashcroft, Aitchison,Armstrong,Bathgate,Blair,Bruce,Brunton,Clarke/Clerk,Crozier, Dickson,Dobson,Dryden,Eaton,Forbis,Gillie/Gillies, Haliburton, Henderson,Higgins,Hogg,Huggan,Hunter,Hutton,Kersel,Kidd/Kyd,Laidlaw,Heugh,Matson,McLuckie,Marchbank,Miller,Notman,Peacock, Prentice,Redpath,Richardson,Roger Riddell,Ruthven,Scobbie,Simson, Spiers/Speirs,Spottiswood,Tinline, Thorburn,Thomson,Turnbull,Waddel,Waldie ,Waugh.Younger

Offline Gardenshed

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 10 May 18 08:47 BST (UK) »
Hello Dominic1

It is not just Ancestry users - I have the same issue with fTDNA.

There is a recent long thread with many people raising similar issues. I particularly liked the response #137 which included the comment:

" you need to bear in mind that many people submit a test purely to see if they really are Irish/Finnish/Pixie".

I live in hope that one day someone will get in touch/ respond to help me with one of my many mysteries.

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 May 18 09:18 BST (UK) »
I haven't done a DNA test myself but I have this theory that many people are given DNA tests as trendy presents and aren't particularly interested. They are being heavily pushed as Mother's Day and Father's Day presents. I know two of my siblings would not be interested if anyone contacted them whereas I would be very interested.

Martin

Online ggrocott

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I will find them eventually!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 10 May 18 09:24 BST (UK) »
Yes, I am having the same problem.  The most frustrating bit about it is when you have a large group of shared matches, one of whom has a huge tree but you cannot find any links, even when they do respond.  The rest have no trees and refuse to respond - I only need one name I recognise and all sorts of things might fall into place!
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Tagg, Bowyer (Berkshire/Surrey), Adams, Small, Pratt, Coles, Stevens, Cox (Bucks), Grocott, Slater, Dean, Hill (Staffs/Shropshire), Holloway, Flint, Warrington,Turnbull (London), Montague, Barrett (Herts), Hayward (Kent), Gallon, Knight, Ede, Tribe, Bunn, Northeast, Nicholds (Sussex) Penduck, Pinnell, Yeeles (Gloucs), Johns (Monmouth and Devon), Head (Bath), Tedbury, Bowyer (Somerset), Chapman, Barrett (Herts/Essex)

Offline Old Bristolian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stephen Bumstead 1844-1903
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 10 May 18 10:00 BST (UK) »
There was another thread on RC very recently on the same subject (rry but I'm not sure how to provide a link - I'm sure someone will be along to do so) - it seems the Ancestry messaging service is not very efficient and messages often don't get through. It's worth retrying from time to time.
Bumstead - London, Suffolk
Plant, Woolnough, Wase, Suffolk
Flexney, Godfrey, Burson, Hobby -  Oxfordshire
Street, Mitchell - Gloucestershire
Horwood, Heale Drew - Bristol
Gibbs, Gait, Noyes, Peters, Padfield, Board, York, Rogers, Horler, Heale, Emery, Clavey, Mogg, - Somerset
Fook, Snell - Devon
M(a)cDonald, Yuell, Gollan, McKenzie - Rosshire
McLennan, Mackintosh - Inverness
Williams, Jones - Angelsey & Caernarvon
Campbell, McMartin, McLellan, McKercher, Perthshire

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 10 May 18 10:49 BST (UK) »
My parents did the test- he does his side and I do my mother's side. He's commented on the fact that for some reason I get more replies than he does.

One of the matches that I wanted to contact most turned out to be an elderly lady who hadn't been online for a couple of years- I ended up speaking to her daughter after looking up her tree online and finding the daughter also had an account. Another one with a private tree didn't respond to my original message a couple of years ago but did reply recently when I sent a second one.

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 11 May 18 05:53 BST (UK) »
Some people manage trees for others or have several .so you have to make sure you include the name of tree referred to

And dates of people referred to .I'm getting more replies now. I tend to offer some information as well as request .the American side of family respond more cos more of them on Ancestry .lovely second  cuz doesn't go on much and subs stopped. Worth sending messages some don't realise they can answer if not members ...did you know if someone dies you can take over their  country if hAve correct papers
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson