Author Topic: Looking for the employer of Elizabeth Emma Smith 1908 Hucknall Torkand  (Read 774 times)

Offline MWest

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for the employer of Elizabeth Emma Smith 1908 Hucknall Torkand
« on: Wednesday 09 May 18 18:08 BST (UK) »
My husband’s grandmother, May (Smith) Collier was born in the Basford workhouse April 12 1909.
Her mother was Elizabeth Emma Smith b. 1887 who worked as a domestic servant in Hucknall Torkand.
Elizabeth also had a second child, Frances, born 1911 in Basford workhouse who died in Dec 1911.
We are hoping to find where in Hucknall Torkand Elizabeth worked as a domestic servant,
it is family lore that her male employer was the father of both of her children.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for the employer of Elizabeth Emma Smith 1908 Hucknall Torkand
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 May 18 18:21 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat.

The biggest problem here is the date - the 1911 census is of no use as she is in the workhouse then, and the 1901 is too early as she would only have been 14.

Did either children have middle names that may have given a hint about their father?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MWest

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 May 18 19:27 BST (UK) »
Hi and thank you! No they don't note it. I have birth certificates for May and Frances. Both have father spot blank but both say that Elizabeth was employed as "domestic servant Hucknall Torkand". May born April 12 1909 and then Elizabeth was discharged from Basford June 39 1909.  In 1911 census May was noted with her mother and infant Frances at Basford workhouse. Elizabeths occupation is housemaid dosmestic. 

In 1917 Elizabeth married Mr Edward Faulconbridge and they moved to Bulwell  at 73 Oxford St. They had 3 daughters and a son who died at age 9.

I wonder if any of the employers/affluent homes in H.T. would have a roster/register/tax registry of their servants?

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 09 May 18 19:52 BST (UK) »
I wonder if it would be worth contacting the owner of this site?

http://www.hucknalltorkardhistory.co.uk/
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 09 May 18 23:54 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to rootschat ;D

I lived about 5 miles away in a small village for 18 yrs and my children attended Blue coats in Hucknall.

Like many towns there are many homes in Hucknall that would have employed domestic servants at that time in history, so it would be a lottery looking for someone employed in one of any number of potential houses.

From 1915 it has been known as simply Hucknall.

Of course there is Newstead Abbey which you could certainly research, that was famous for Lord Byron living there.

So from the time you are talking about
"In 1861, William Frederick Webb, African explorer, bought the Abbey from(Colonel Thomas Wildman) Wildman's widow. Under Webb, the chapel was redecorated, but the rest of the house remained largely unaltered. After his death in 1899, the estate passed to each of his surviving children and finally to his grandson Charles Ian Fraser. Fraser sold Newstead to local philanthropist, Sir Julien Cahn, who presented it to Nottingham Corporation in 1931." It now belongs to Nottingham City Council, houses the Byron museum and you can certainly contact NCC and/or Notts record archives who could tell you what if any estate records are in existence
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend